Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #151

Your dashboard looks great, Brother Weld! You are going to have a very nice, low mileage, TW200 when you are finished.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #152

BTW, the last photo above also shows the fender mount that I cobbled together. I drilled four mounting holes in a plate, then passed four carriage bolts through and secured them with nuts and washers. I then ground the tops of the carriage bolts off and clamped it to the bottom of the triple clamp. I put a couple of small weld beads on it and called it done.

The fender is a refugee from the 230 Hummer that Son of Weldangrind and I picked up in Whistler last year. That's the same bike that donated its motor to his XR200R.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Good for you, Weld! However, all you needed to do was ask. :P

The turn signal indicator light in the TW200 uses each side of the turn signal system as a ground for the other side. :roll: Therefore, if you are using LED turn signals, you must remove the turn signal indicator bulb for the LED turn signals to work. If you wish to retain the turn signal indicator bulb, you can install the Kuryakyn Diode Kit.

If you wish, you can also make your own diode kit. Merely solder diodes into both the orange and sky blue wires leading to the indicator bulb, and connect another wire to ground, as shown in the following diagram.

When I performed this modification on my Zong, I used 1N4004 diodes I purchased from Radio Shack. :

You can purchase a 2-pack of these diodes for $1.19, or you can buy a 25-pack of mixed diodes for $2.99.
I did make my own, and it was free. I liberated two diodes from a dead printed circuit board.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
That does sound much better! I'm guessing low mileage as well, I think you got a steal of a deal on that one! I see a new clutch cable in the pics as well... Hmmm, new clutch cable and chain and sprockets, genuine Zong tank and she's purring like a kitten, have you taken it for a spin yet? 8)
I took it for a victory lap around the cul-de-sac last night. It is now complete enough for a proper ride, except for the speedometer. I tried to install my digital speedometer, but I must have broken a wire along the way. It's in the trash now.

I'm going to order a new speedometer on eBay and see how it works. I expect that I'll have it in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to get insurance and a plate and ride it.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Good for you, Weld! However, all you needed to do was ask. :P

The turn signal indicator light in the TW200 uses each side of the turn signal system as a ground for the other side. :roll: Therefore, if you are using LED turn signals, you must remove the turn signal indicator bulb for the LED turn signals to work. If you wish to retain the turn signal indicator bulb, you can install the Kuryakyn Diode Kit.

If you wish, you can also make your own diode kit. Merely solder diodes into both the orange and sky blue wires leading to the indicator bulb, and connect another wire to ground, as shown in the following diagram.

When I performed this modification on my Zong, I used 1N4004 diodes I purchased from Radio Shack. :

You can purchase a 2-pack of these diodes for $1.19, or you can buy a 25-pack of mixed diodes for $2.99.
I did make my own, and it was free. I liberated two diodes from a dead printed circuit board.
Yes, I noticed you built your own. As usual, your solution was straight forward, elegant, and cost effective (frugal).

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
That does sound much better! I'm guessing low mileage as well, I think you got a steal of a deal on that one! I see a new clutch cable in the pics as well... Hmmm, new clutch cable and chain and sprockets, genuine Zong tank and she's purring like a kitten, have you taken it for a spin yet? 8)
I took it for a victory lap around the cul-de-sac last night. It is now complete enough for a proper ride, except for the speedometer. I tried to install my digital speedometer, but I must have broken a wire along the way. It's in the trash now.

I'm going to order a new speedometer on eBay and see how it works. I expect that I'll have it in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to get insurance and a plate and ride it.
I am proud to have the honor of being the first to congratulate you, Brother Weld! Please post photos of you TW200 in its natural habitat as soon as you can!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #157

Congrats Nice feeling isn't it lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #158

I wanna see some pics of it all in one piece . Grats on the cruise, first runs and first rides are the best! 8)

Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #159

Quote:
I wanna see some pics of it all in one piece . Grats on the cruise, first runs and first rides are the best! 8)
X2! Let's see photos of the TW200 in its native habitat!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #160

Outstanding work. You never cease to impress me. Knowing you your expertise does not surprise me but I remain impressed. Good thinking, and good work.

During the video I heard the fuel tank whisper, "I want to return to the mountains of Idaho for a China Riders Northwest Ride!"

Yup. I heard that too. I should send him some random parts from the Southeast Washington Desert also. :wink:

Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #161

Maiden voyage day. I got a plate and insurance, so I promptly headed up the nearest mountain for some pics before it rained (it never did).

This is half way up:

This is the top:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #162

Thanks for posting photos of the YamaZong in its native habitat! You TW200 looks great, Weld!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #163

Thanks! I've got a little work to do to pretty it up, but at least it's rideable. I'm going to wait until you paint your Zong and then I'll choose a blue Krylon Fusion for my plastic to make everything match.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #164

Wow! 8O I can't believe that's even the same bike! 8) It looks fantastic! I actually liked the red seat but I gotta say it looks 100 times better with the black, and the blue plastics really make it pop! An excellent job my friend and it looks right at home on the side of the mountain, beautiful scenery . How does it handle with those big tires? Does it feel like a conventional motorcycle or a little different? I've always wondered about that on the TW's.

Awesome job, you've got yourself a sharp looking ride there, I'm looking forward to some ride reports from your area, the closest I've been your way was Kamloops and most of that time was spent in the Chevy dealership shop!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #165

And Weld finally has a dual sport ride. Looks great. Where did you fill up with tater gas. :wink: