Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #76

Good progress with the chain and sprockets. I appreciate the cell phone pics but I'm looking forward to many pics with your Canon. From what I see the donor bike looks a heck of a lot better than The Dirt Rat did.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #77

$24.95 for a sprocket? 8O Isn't there a way to determine which JT 520 would fit? I know it's only a savings of about $10.00, but still...

Maybe if you sent your engine to Doc, it would de-humidify itself and fire right up.

Nice lookin' decals Doc. I'm sure that Son of Weldangrind will want those.

Kato, here's a Uni that will fit the stock box: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...-/120648100981

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #78

That stock muffler takes up so much room, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the battery easily fits opposite it. How did the same year XL's mount the battery?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #79

I am not sure. I know that we did have a sprocket for 520 chain conversions for the gy5 bikes. Should have gone and looked for one of the those. Money spent already though and it fit the first time.

I am sure that the engine will free up. I have had good success in the past. My method of filling the cylinder with a penetrating lubricant and then wait. I break them free by putting them in gear and using the rear wheel to turn the engine. Afraid that the kickstart may strip or in the case of e-start bikes there is no other option.

Works well on tractors too. This is pretty common for engines that have sat for a period of time here. I should have sprayed some fogging oil or something in there.

I am going to see if the pod filter fits well or not. Looks like it may be tight in there. Otherwise I like the idea of the stock setup and find another location for the battery.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #80

Please remind me the year of the XR. It looks much newer than mine and may be a little different. With mine the Uni pod filter (5" long) fit perfect between the airbox and right side panel.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #81

Kato's XR is an '87, and it's a little different from the '81 to '83 version. As an example, the Uni filter that's designed to fit in the stock airbox of an '87 will fit '84 to 2005. There is no listing for '81 to '83. :(

Old 11-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #82

Additional parts and much work will be on hold until I have the engine free.

I did manage to get it to move alittle today. So maybe a few more days will have it freed up. Just needs some more soak time.

So instead I took some time to disassemble the CL70 that will be donating parts are its parts will be ebayed to fund the projects.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Additional parts and much work will be on hold until I have the engine free.

I did manage to get it to move alittle today. So maybe a few more days will have it freed up. Just needs some more soak time.

So instead I took some time to disassemble the CL70 that will be donating parts are its parts will be ebayed to fund the projects.
Got my fingers crossed that she free's up for you. I've had good luck with ATF on tractors before, though I suspect pretty much any lubricant will break the rings loose given enough time to soak in.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #84

I never thought of ATF. :idea:

It might smoke a bit after the rings un-stick, but my guess is that they'll eventually burn off all of the goo and seal up nicely. That said, TurboT is the foremost authority here, IMHO.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #85

I use marvel oil, pb blaster and some atf. Time is usually the key. Had GS450 that sat in a barn for about 20 years. This combo did the trick and it didn't smoke after about 5 minutes of running.