Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #1

Hensim 150cc utillity ATV- help!

Hello, I Just purchased a 2007 hensim 150cc utillity atv from someone online, brought it home and started it up to ride it and it feels like it is lurching when going forward like it isnt shifting gears properly. I dont know anything about these bikes, so if anyone has any suggestions as to what this problem may be, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #2

Automatic clutch?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

I believe these are automatic cvt type drives. It may be just a clutch adjustment.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #4

Confirmed that they are CVT with reverse.

Found a bit of info that you may have to adjust the reverse cable so that no tension it on it. Maybe something to do with the reversing mechansism.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

I bet the clutch can be adjusted or the cable you are refering to and he'll be good to go.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #6

Welcome!

Does your atv look like this?

If so, it appears to be a horizontal Honda clone. That's odd, because in all of the Chinese atv's I've seen, the horizontal engines top out at 125cc (even those aren't common). From that point, they are typically Honda GY6 clone engines at 150cc, and then Honda or Yamaha vertical clones at 200cc and beyond. I've never seen a 150 horizontal.

Just because I haven't seen one doesn't mean anything, but I wonder if the photo is a mistake. Does yours have a large aluminum cover and a kickstart on the left side of the engine, like this?

The cover might be silver or black. If it does, then it's definitely a GY6, which started life as a scooter engine in the eighties. If it doesn't look like that, then you have a horizontal engine. If it's horizontal, then there should be a nut on the right engine cover that is the adjustment for the automatic clutch.

Let us know what you have, and we'll dive further.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-20-2010, 02:08 AM   #7

W&G you are a helpful guy!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #8

WG I am was wondering the same. The only horizontals in the 150cc size have been high performance pit bikes.

The 150GY6 is common. I think the picture is wrong and it a gy6 with a reversing axle.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #9

Thanks Doc. The internets are all about the free exchange of information. Just doing my part.

Kato, it might have a reversing axle like my daughter's atv, but it could also have the planetary style that bolts right to the gearbox. Since the GY6 was originally a scooter engine, the output shaft is actually where the rear wheel was designed to fit. My daughter's atv has a sprocket on the output shaft that transfers power to the reversing rear axle, but the planetary style bolts right to the shaft, meaning that the rear axle can just be a straight shaft live axle.

Here's the reversing axle on my daughter's quad: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=8603

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #10

I have a 2008 Hensim Utility quad. It is definately a horizontal 150cc GY6 clone.

Been there and done that with the lurching problem. Adjust your forward/reverse gearbox linkage so the gearbox control lever on the gearbox is more in the forward position when your quad is in forward. It is a touchy adjustment. If you get it too far forward it will lurch in reverse.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #11

Thanks for checking in, LynnEdwards. Hope all is well with you.