Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #16

I've been to 47 of the 48 continental states, and I can say that nowhere is nearly as beautiful as the northwest. (Northern Cali, Oregon, Washington, Northern Idaho, Western Montana)

But that's not to say that each state does not have its own merits... except NJ. Oregon is an awesome state. Almost everywhere I can think of is amazing, including a lot of the interstates. Texas is also awesome country. Sure, there aren't really mountains. Lots of rolling hills in your area, you are unfortunate, though, in that you live in Austin. Not much dual-sport around, and lots of traffic. (All-around awesome city, though. People, culture, weather... if you like rain) I have never been there, but Canyonlands NWR is nearby, and a lot of the FM roads and state routes contain lots of fun at a decent speed (45-55 mph) take a trip up to Fort Hood via SR29 through Florence (probably wouldn't be too fun once you got there. I used to live there, quite boring.), or down to the coast via SR71 (Good road name) through El Campo. It won't be as amazing as a ride through Klamath Falls or Crater Lake, Mt. Hood or Mt. Ranier, but they will be much different, and I think you will find it to be quite enjoyable, especially if you take a friend. You're right though, I think the grass is always greener on the other side.

Doc, I am envious. You live in such beautiful country, and you are able to take such amazing rides. The Pacific Northwest is such an amazing region, and with the exception of Seattle, the people are amazing as well. I will have to make a trip up to Tekoa, WA to visit a friend of mine and go on a ride with him. Thank you for posting pictures and allowing me to live vicariously through these posts.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #17

We have a great country. (So do the Canuks, and the Icelanders, Brits, Scotts, and everyone else on the forum). Praise God for giving us our freedom! And thanks to the vets for preserving that freedom.

BTW, even NJ has some beauty. The Jersey Shore (not the beach, I grew up there) is nice, as are the Pine Barrens (a small forest in the south-central area), and the northwestern tip (High Point) are all very pretty areas.

Same applies to Delaware, another underdog in the natural beauty arena!