Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

2010 X31 questions, issues.

Just bought this bike for my girlfriend who wanted to start riding with me and my buddies on the trails.

The bike isn't too bad and perfect for a beginner. I must say though the suspension is TERRIBLE, particularily in the rear where it's pretty much a pogo stick and not a real shock.
Kind of a downer, but it has a starter, solid engine, and solid enough frame for her needs until she gets something better.

I noticed that the bike does not like to have the throttle snapped open quickly, it will stall every time. I know that this is a fuel screw adjustment issue but even fully screwed out (rich) it doesn't change anything meaning the bog is a lean one.
What pilot jets does this carb use as it is not marked?

I was trying to teach her how to ride up a hill and she stalled out half way. I told her that she can start the bike and walk it up along side her to get out of the hill easier cause she's a beginner. So she did just that and started to slip the clutch when I heard a nasty squeeling noise from the engine!!!!
Wow, thought she blew something for sure. Started it back up, worked fine... wth was that all about? Sounded like metal to metal grinding, I can only think that maybe the clutch overheated? Maybe the plates are brand new and are not broken in?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #2

Welcome!

Have you changed the oil? The factory stuff is junk and is intended for shipping only. Use a quality four stroke wet clutch oil.

The rear shock is one of many things that can be swapped out for higher quality as time goes on. I bought used Yamaha Raptor shocks for my China quad, and they're terrific. Does your shock have a schrader valve on one end? If so, you could have a couple of pounds of nitrogen added (I had that done at a local tire shop for free).

I'd bet that the pilot is a 20, and it sould be marked on there. If not, take it into the local bike shop (my local Yamaha dealer sells them) and buy a 22.5 and a 25 for experimentation. While at it, you might prefer a 110 main jet if the stocker is a 100.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #3

Yea I changed the oil, I put in castrol 20W50 for the break in, being so hot here this time of year and that the engine shares engine/tranny oil, I figured a little thicker would be better.
The manual actually tells you not to use the oil it comes with, besides half of it was soaked into the box when I got the bike :(

There is a shrader valve on the shock surprisingly, but there is no reservoir, so couldn't see it holding any decent amount of nitrogen to make a difference. Besides, isn't the nitrogen strictly to help with compression and not rebound? The rebound on this thing is horrible as there is no resistance to upward movement.

I'll bring the jets in and see what they have available.

Can you add an oil cooler to this bike? It gets so hot so quick I can only imagine how quickly the oil can break down in these things. There are what look like flanges for an oil cooler line or possibly an oil pressure sensor on the side of the cylinder... but I'm unsure.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #4

Not sure on the schrader, just thought it might be worth a try.

Don't know about the oil cooler; I don't have a bike like yours.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

I'd not worry about overheating. We've only had one report of a Chinabike running hot and those circumstances were quite severe and no harm was done. Change the oil every thousand miles or so and enjoy.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

I read a forum post somewhere, sometime, about someone who was worried about their Yamaha YZ or WR overheating because it got quite hot. I thought the answer was pretty darn funny and I'll share it with you here:

"Go Faster"

Not sure it applies to your novice rider GF, but perhaps when you think it's getting warm just jump on yourself and get it up to speed.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
I read a forum post somewhere, sometime, about someone who was worried about their Yamaha YZ or WR overheating because it got quite hot. I thought the answer was pretty darn funny and I'll share it with you here:

"Go Faster"

Not sure it applies to your novice rider GF, but perhaps when you think it's getting warm just jump on yourself and get it up to speed.

Yep, an air cooled engine needs lots of air to cool it, hence the name. Riding the tight twisties all day is like your car in rush hour traffic, they will get hot.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev

Yep, an air cooled engine needs lots of air to cool it, hence the name. Riding the tight twisties all day is like your car in rush hour traffic, they will get hot.
I think anything without a radiator fan is going to get super hot at low speeds in warm weather especially. My bike is water cooled and if it sits running and not getting air over the rad and the revs up with the water flowing it gets hot too.

I just thought the way it was answered in a go faster manner was pretty funny.

Even an oil cooler is going to require you to be moving to get air rushing over it, IMO. Unless it's some trick model with built in freon and electric fans along with a pipe for geothermal cooling. ..and then you'd kill the battery and burn the wiring out powering it.