Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #1

110cc mini hummer problems

Ok so I got a few problems nothing all too major.

1st. The chain always falls of and when I move the atv forward the chain loosens a bit then tightens back up. Probably a rear bushings problem will check that out tomorrow. My question is how do I get at them tho? Just take off the axle?

2nd. I have had a LONG battle with the electronics on this atv. First the crappy battery in it so I would always just bring a long a second battery and just jump start it to get it going and no problem. Then the starter relay went in it so again no problem replaced it and then back in action. After it sitting for a while and not doing anything with it I decided I'd make it my summer project to fix it up. So I replaced the crappy battery with a 12v 18ah battery. Obviously it didn't fit in the stock battery compartment so I just mounted it on the top rack (yes yes it's ghetto :P ) I had to extend the fused red wire going to the battery by a few inches.

Ok the problem is that off the battery is at 12.3V idleing it's at 12.35V so no big change. Here's were it gets weird, riding around the voltages lowers to around 9-10V.

3rd. Not too big of a problem and I can deal with this. It's that it seems to turn right sharper then it'll turn left which I don't get. I didn't try fixing or looking at this.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:35 AM   #2

PROBLEMS

For the turning problem check your tie rods and make sure they are the same length.. check where your axle stops are when the steering wheel is centered.. look under neath where the tie rods go onto.. for the stupid charging raqte.. load test your battery.. check the charging just sitting there .. before you start it. and when the motor running.. these do not charge alot .. like a car.. if you drove with the lights on for a long time.. maybe 1 hour or so.,. you could kill the battery.. they use a lot of power.. when you makeshift things like re-mounting the larger battery and other things like checking the charging when you are driving around.. you are making a lot of problems doing all of this.. you should try to get things working properly and then you know it is ok.. you can drive yourself nuts with this atvs

Old 07-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #3

Re: PROBLEMS

By testing while riding around I just had the meter leads hooked to the battery just to get the engine some higher RPM's I was riding around pretty slowly tho my backyard aint too big lol.

Also yah the tie rods aren't the same length. I'll look into that more tomorrow.

I'll try and get a normal size battery. 12v 4a right? I just had that battery around and it's been working fine for about a month. Granted I don't ride it too much tho.

Also I hardly ever use the light. Got like 0 need for them. I'll try to scavenge around tomorrow for another battery and report back tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions on the steering also

Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 AM   #4

...I'll add that the chain falling off is probably due to worn out swingarm bushings which are located where the swing arm bolts to the frame. You will see a long stud or nut going through the entire length of the swingarm. There will be a bushing at each end of the frame in this area and they wear out quick, making your swingarm flop around too much dumping the chain..

You should have received replacements if you bought the quad new but they'll be the same crap quality... some here have had some made as we haven't found a parts source for these in good quality that will work.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

It's a 2007 model mini hummer. I haven't got any spare ones when I bought mine and yah I got it new.

EDIT: Ok I got the whole rear axle assembly or whatever you'd call it off. The bushings don't look to be in the best of condition on the swing arm but hell they're actually there unlike some other horror stories I've seen. I'm thinking it could be the bushings inside the axle itself. Like in between the axle and the swing arm. I will take a look at that in a bit haha it's wayy too hot out and it's only 11 am

EDIT 2: Ok are these the right size for the bushings because I aint going to pull the old ones out until I have new ones because I'm probably going up north next week and if I can't find the right bushings I can just live with it for a bit.

Inner Diameter: 10mm
Outer Diameter: 28mm
Width: 22mm

Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #6

Ok so I'm trying to get the old bushings out. Bad idea. I'm just basically destroying one of them. I've got 99% of the rubber gone and am going to cut a notch out and try taking it out. I already got most of the notch notched out so am wondering if there's anything I can speed up taking this bushing out?

Also i might just buy a whole new sway arm but the problem is that they use shitty bushings so I don't know.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

On two occasions I've been successful in removing a bushing and taking it the local motorcycle shop to find a replacement. I found PW80 swingarm bushings that were a perfect match for my Beast (that are much better quality) and XR50 bushings for my son's former pit bike. I found that the bike shops stored all of the bushings together, and they let me root around until I found a match.

The bushings you have are a copy of something. The trick will be figuring out what. If you find a decent replacement, please be sure to share that info with the forum.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
On two occasions I've been successful in removing a bushing and taking it the local motorcycle shop to find a replacement. I found PW80 swingarm bushings that were a perfect match for my Beast (that are much better quality) and XR50 bushings for my son's former pit bike. I found that the bike shops stored all of the bushings together, and they let me root around until I found a match.

The bushings you have are a copy of something. The trick will be figuring out what. If you find a decent replacement, please be sure to share that info with the forum.
Yah think they'd work for the min hummer? I'm having THE WORST luck trying to find bushings argh

Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Once you remove the bushings and have one as a sample, try taking it into a local bike shop and see if it brings joy.

I just measured the cush drive sprocket bushings on an old XR200; they're close, but not quite right. You'll find what you need if you keep at it.

The alternative is to find somebody with a lathe and have steel bushings made. You could have the center turned to a larger bore so that bronze bushings could be pressed into the middle. The bronze bushings would become the consumable part, and they would be easy to find and replace in the future.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #10

I got a buddy who works as a machinist might try to get him to make me some brass bushings. Also I can't get it out so another buddy of mines a mechanic and he can replace them for me so before I go there to get them out I want replacements.

I'm calling around to bearing places to see if they got bushings. I'm also calling a lot of the places around here that sell motorcylces and atvs and what not. No luck

Old 07-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

See if you can find some 1-1/8" UHMW rod and make them out of that, low cost and machines like a hot knife thru butter, we use them as torsion bar bushings on our microsprint and they hold up very well.
You might not even need a lathe to make them, you could clamp a 2x4 to the drill press, drill a 1-1/8" hole, cut the uhmw to length and insert in the 1-1/8" hole in the 2x4, then switch drill bits to the size you need for the bolt, this method should be darn close to center and would make anyone with a drill press able to make them themselves. Now the OD will be approx. .015" over, so you can put the bushings on a bolt and use a nut to secure them, put the bolt in the drill press and use emery paper to sand the OD to fit.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
See if you can find some 1-1/8" UHMW rod and make them out of that, low cost and machines like a hot knife thru butter, we use them as torsion bar bushings on our microsprint and they hold up very well.
Yah the thing is I got minimal tools and can't do anything like that. So argh seems liek I'm stuck might as well just order a whole new swing are.

Eh maybe anyone here be able to send me some? Like I'll pay you and I'd love to get it overnighted or whatever because I'm going up north next week. Argh shouldn't have started this at this time.

EDIT: I'm thinking of hitting up the local machine shop. They specialize in making auto parts and a bushing should take them no time to make.(I hope)

EDIT2: Ok well I think machine shop is out of the question. Anybody know of any place I can pick them up on hte way to tobermory? From sarnia to tobermory any place in between there. I'm thinking of hitting up www.outsidepowersports.com like their store since they service these china atv's and have many parts according to their site.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
You might not even need a lathe to make them, you could clamp a 2x4 to the drill press, drill a 1-1/8" hole, cut the uhmw to length and insert in the 1-1/8" hole in the 2x4, then switch drill bits to the size you need for the bolt, this method should be darn close to center and would make anyone with a drill press able to make them themselves. Now the OD will be approx. .015" over, so you can put the bushings on a bolt and use a nut to secure them, put the bolt in the drill press and use emery paper to sand the OD to fit.
Yet another example of how I'm not using my tools to the fullest extent. Your method sounds brilliant Wayne.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #14

Thanks W&G, i usually try to think "outside of the box" to solve problems, one thing i forgot to add was when putting the bushing in the 1-1/8" hole drilled in the 2x4 it might try to spin while drilling the bolt hole, this can be solved by putting a screw thru the sides of the 2x4 to hold it in place when drilling the bolt hole.