Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #1

Newbie Beast Owner

First of all i have to say this site kicks ass! I just came upon it and am amazed the discussions and help that is on here. Proud owner of a gio beast and love all the upgrade/Mod Discussions on here. Thought i was the only one stuck trying to start one of these things. Quads been good to me for the price but now i am having some issues starting. I have picked up the spark plug recomended by Weldangrind (THANKS!) But I am having a hell of a time finding the lead wire. Canadian tire has discontinued the part number and I was wondering if there is somewhere else to get one of these and the part number. Proud new member of this site! Appreciate the help!

Anyone ever set up a gio meet and greet? haha might take us a while to get them all going but once we did what a blast! CHEERS!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Newbie Beast Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker101
First of all i have to say this site kicks ass! I just came upon it and am amazed the discussions and help that is on here. Proud owner of a gio beast and love all the upgrade/Mod Discussions on here. Thought i was the only one stuck trying to start one of these things. Quads been good to me for the price but now i am having some issues starting. I have picked up the spark plug recomended by Weldangrind (THANKS!) But I am having a hell of a time finding the lead wire. Canadian tire has discontinued the part number and I was wondering if there is somewhere else to get one of these and the part number. Proud new member of this site! Appreciate the help!

Anyone ever set up a gio meet and greet? haha might take us a while to get them all going but once we did what a blast! CHEERS!
Welcome cooker101.. what part of our wonderful country you in?

You're right this site is a wealth of information and especially the Beasts. So much so some of our US friends are jealous they can't have them down south. It's usually the other way around and they have the Zong bikes we don't get here.

Can't help you myself on the wire, but I'm sure there are other sources who someone here knows, even eBay for that matter.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

Port Moody... I see you are in Surrey, had no idea there was gio's so close? What do you own? Where do u ride?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #4

Welcome!

TurboT and I have gone riding a few times together, mostly at Nickelmine, but also once at Peg Leg. I need to get out soon. I have a Beast and a '96 XR250R.

To bring the Crappy Tire part number back to the surface, I bought 026-2714-0. I think that the stores are franchises, meaning that not every store carries the same merchandise. I had to hunt for the one I bought, and I think I found it in Chilliwack. Just because your local store doesn't stock it doesn't mean they can't get it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Port Moody... I see you are in Surrey, had no idea there was gio's so close? What do you own? Where do u ride?
As my buddy W&G provided, I have a Beast I rescued off craigslist for cheap that W&G and I (mostly W&G 8)) have been bringing back up to standard. I also have a 110cc Mini Beast and 50cc Mini ATV for the kids, and a 2004 YZ 250F which is feeling neglected of late.

I think we're almost ready for a lower mainland Chinariders show and shine, I know there's a few others around !

Old 07-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #6

What kind of things have you guys done? All Ive done is the mikuni carb so far (havent spent any time on it yet) . I need to spend some serious time on mine to get it all running smoothly. How does your beast charge? Mine doesn't seem to charge the battery to well. Im gonna spend every chance i get on here and get my beast running like a dream. Hope you guys can put up with all my "newbie" questions, its just good to talk to someone who has been there done that. Would love to hear about all the mods and fix's you guys have done. Any pics on here?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #7

Bring on the questions! Also, feel free to search the ATV section; look for my name, along with PCD, waynev and several other fine members. Most of us have upgraded the exhaust, but that's a loaded statement.

The Beast performance exhaust that is available at www.giobikes.com isn't any better than the stocker. The key here is that the stock exhaust is one piece and the performance exhaust is two pieces (a head pipe and a muffler). The head pipe is fine.

Enter the Monster muffler that was intended for the 150cc Monster quad; the muffler is great, but the head pipe won't fit the Beast (see where this is going?). Several of us bought both systems to use the Monster muffler and the Beast head pipe. At the time, they were both going for a song at auction, but I haven't seen the Monster pipe on auction for awhile. You can still use the "buy it now" option, but it's more money.

If you have access to a mig welder, I can guide you towards waking up the stock exhaust for free.

Once you install a free flowing air filter (most of us use a Uni pod) and an exhaust to match, you'll need to re-jet your Mikuni. I bought a new 110 main jet and a 22.5 pilot jet for TurboT's Beast for a song at Clearbrook Yamaha in Abbotsford.

New front shocks are a must. You can get those at auction at giobikes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #8

Welcome to these forums, Cooker! You found the right place, and the right people, to help you with your Gio ATV.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #9

Yes the carb, (which you've done), the air filter and front shocks are the must do items in my opinion...however W&G still has the stock carb on his and it runs well.

In addition to the Monster muffler W&G kindly installed for me after we blew up the 125cc pit bike muffler(experiment) I have the performance CDI installed as well which can be attained at the giobikes site for McDonald's money.

For an example of performance increase, the last time W&G and I went riding we were going up a long uphill grade and my Beast was outpulling his up the extended grade and I outweigh him by quite a margin. They do increase performance for minimal money.

The batteries and charging system are horrible. I'm always charging mine and some of the other members here have installed bigger batteries and relocated with some sound handywork. You can find info and pics on them by searching the forums as W&G suggested.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #10

Wow I cant wait to start ripping mine apart and getting it to its full potential. Especially now that i have some experts on my side Finally tracked down the ngk lead wire for the ngk spark plug. Canadian tire has discontinued that part number so i bought the only two i could find so that i have a spare in case someone else cant find it. Where do i get one of these uni pod air filters? Also have you guys upgraded the shocks to the beast performance shocks? I would love to get this toy all done out for this hot weather approaching! once again i really appreciate all the help! This sites gonna get addictive!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
...once again i really appreciate all the help! This sites gonna get addictive!
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Where do i get one of these uni pod air filters? Also have you guys upgraded the shocks to the beast performance shocks? :
W&G ordered mine from his local Yamaha dealer. Maybe he remembers the part number?? You can order online from www.gnarlyparts.com as well if you know the uni number. Not sure which would be cheaper.

Yes, the Gio performance shocks are a must for the front, the back hasn't received positive reviews in this forum due to it coming extremely stiff springed.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #13

As an update, Gnarly Parts now has a warehouse / store in Chilliwack, near Lickman Road. It's worth the drive.