Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #1

Tail of the Dragon in the rain......

A little over 500 miles total trip, had a blast. Took all the backroads and ran more twisties than I ever thought I'd see.
If you live close enough to visit Deals Gap, this is a roller coaster on 2 wheels.
Plenty of curves and dips. Beautiful overlooks.
Stoopie forgot to load the camera in the bag the night before, so no other pics. :oops:
This guy sits at a pull-out and shoots the bikes as they go by. Posts the pics later.
Killboy.com photos
I'm on the red MZ with the Hi-Vis yellow helmet.
I'll be back in the spring, for sure on a dry day then.
Later,
Bill

Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #2

Looks like fun.....SLippery I bet.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM   #3

Just a "little" bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Looks like fun.....SLippery I bet.
The best part was the small clumps of wet leaves scattered over the road in some curves.
You could feel the tires "slip/catch" as you went over them. :o
Glad that the MZ has some sticky tires on it.
The speed limit on that section is 30mph and I definitely was not going to push it in those conditions. The fastest I made a few of the curves was around 35 and those weren't the "tight" ones.
Bill

Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #4

WHen spring comes again that place lookslike it would a lot of fun.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #5

thats not too far from here its also near the blue ridge parkway another beauty maybe we should arrange a china rider invasion
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #6

That looks like a lot of fun, Bill. I was raised in Pennsylvania, so I know all about the wet leaves on the road! We don't have that problem in Idaho!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #7

What are leaves? :?:

Wet leaves were like black ice when I lived in CT/NJ. Don't miss them.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #8

I got a lot of buddies that run hwy 129 (I think that's the hwy). I've never been but I guess it's motorcycle heaven (for those that live). I wish they would have a race on that road similiar to UK's TTisle race. My buddy that was there a month ago said they are starting to patrol it a lot more compared to previous years, including by air.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1970
I got a lot of buddies that run hwy 129 (I think that's the hwy). I've never been but I guess it's motorcycle heaven (for those that live). I wish they would have a race on that road similiar to UK's TTisle race. My buddy that was there a month ago said they are starting to patrol it a lot more compared to previous years, including by air.
Yep, it's 129. If you ever get the chance, give it a go. Really fun ride.
I'd like to see a race day there, also. You could really push it then and that would be a RIDE.

I didn't see any patrol the day I went (early and wet). Made 3 runs.
I had a blast and didn't go much over 35mph (posted is 30).
I did meet a couple of delivery trucks. Nothing like coming around a blind corner, looking to the next and seeing a big, chrome MACK coming at you 8O
If you hold your line and stay in your lane, it's plenty fun swooping around the turns.

The go-fast crowd only put themselves at risk and give bikes a bad rep, but that's how it is.
Bill

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #10

I just saw where your from Nashville. The friends I'm talking about are from that area. One of my best friends lives just southwest of Franklin. Him and a lot of his sportbike friends go there often, and yes they probably don't help the image. However he does have a Deputy Reserve Badge or something like that, and from the stories I here it's been helpful getting him and some of his buddies from getting tickets. Personaly I would just enjoy taking a laid back ride thru there. It looks nice from the pics and you tube videos I've seen. I guess there is a few good places to eat nearby as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
I just saw where your from Nashville. The friends I'm talking about are from that area. One of my best friends lives just southwest of Franklin. Him and a lot of his sportbike friends go there often, and yes they probably don't help the image.
I live in the Bellevue area and ride The Trace and backroads around Franklin a lot.
I don't mind the guys that blast thru in a "safe" manner. It's just hard to justify speeding through there when you can't see what's coming around the next corner.
You saw the videos where the riders pass cars and cut the corners, those are the ones that don't help anything (and it's not just sport bikes).
Quote:
However he does have a Deputy Reserve Badge or something like that, and from the stories I here it's been helpful getting him and some of his buddies from getting tickets.
Not gonna touch that one. Personal opinion :wink:
Quote:
Personaly I would just enjoy taking a laid back ride thru there. It looks nice from the pics and you tube videos I've seen. I guess there is a few good places to eat nearby as well.
Laid back is the best way. I did the "crotch-rocket" thing back in the day and yeah, it was kinda/sorta fun. Also way more scary with traffic around.
I'll keep it relaxed and enjoy the swoops.
There were some likely spots to eat. I didn't check anything due to the weather and time limit I had. I'm headed back in the spring. Gonna try for an overnighter and hit some of the other roads in the area.
Later,
Bill

Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
However he does have a Deputy Reserve Badge or something like that, and from the stories I here it's been helpful getting him and some of his buddies from getting tickets.
Not gonna touch that one. Personal opinion :wink:
LOL, yea he's a piece of work and as crooked as a question mark but he is pretty entertaining and he's been one of my best friends for 22 years so I live with his shortcomings, and likewise he does the same with me.

Take care and post pics next time you go if you get a chance. Later, Adam.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
LOL, yea he's a piece of work and as crooked as a question mark but he is pretty entertaining and he's been one of my best friends for 22 years so I live with his shortcomings, and likewise he does the same with me.

Take care and post pics next time you go if you get a chance. Later, Adam.
As we still say "I heard that".
I've got a couple of those myself from back in the day. Haven't seen them much since we moved to Nashville, but I still run into 'em when I visit home. Haven't changed a bit.
"Hey dewde, you wanna........." fill in the blank.

I'm gonna remember the blasted camera next trip and I've gotta find a good way to mount a video camera, without spending bucks.
Bill