Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonsgccc
...the stator/coil assembly bolts were all loose one was so loose it was banged up alittle and i believe it was bouncing around catching on the inside of what i think would be a magneto if that is what it is. it had some scrape marks probably from the bolt. the stator was replaced about 5,500 miles ago and i guess the bolts werent tightened as much as they could have been. it may have been the viberation. i ran it for a while and no noise so praise the lord! no out of pocket expenses other than the quart of oil. anyways thanks for the input.

shawn
Indeed, praise the Lord! However, I have very little praise for the people who repaired your Zong. :(

The bolts that hold the stator are fixed with loctite at the Zongshen factory. When I performed my left crankcase cover modification, I used blue loctite when I installed the stator bolts. The stator bolts fasten very solidly into the left crankcase cover, and a little loctite should hold them quite securely, if they are tightened properly!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #17

Quote:
I wish i had used loctite when i tightened the screws up. I have had issues with some of the warranty work ive had done i have had to go back after missing screws. I dont think that it would have ran this long if it wasnt tightened when it was installed. i drive around 30 minutes one way to and from work i average between 50 and 55 miles an hour. it may not be alot but maybe the viberation is enough over time to loosen them.
I have had several problems with this bike more than i have had with any other but iguess sometimes that just happens. I still will depend on this bike for a daily driver but when i change the sprockets at next chain replacement i will be able to double check the bolts hopefully they will stay tight.
thanks for the input shawn
Shawn, I suggest you install the stator bolts with loctite during your next oil change. I ride my Zong very hard over gravel roads, and on rocky trails in the mountains. I have not had any problems with loose stator bolts on my Zong. Your stator bolts should not have loosened; continue to check them periodically. If they loosen again, I suggest you buy a new left crankcase cover; it should only cost about $25.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
i may be wrong here, but it sounds like he is having more problems with the work that has been done. and he's being real discreet, my complements on the restraint davidson...
I agree, Phil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
... i think anything or anybody can make a lemon but the thought that has crossed mind. we are compairing 2006 models to newer everything else and im sure we can all agree that china has made vast improvements in the last year or 2...
I'm sure you are correct, Phil. However, the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 engine is a faithful copy of the 2009 Yamaha TW200 engine; therefore, I consider the Zong engine to be current technology. This engine is know for its rugged durabilty; indeed, the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle has been using this engine since 1987.

I have ridden 19,000 miles on my Zong, and I have never had any problems with my stator bolts. Indeed, I recently completed a 3-day trip to Utah, and a 2-day trip north to the Salmon River.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=8754

I honestly find it hard to believe that Shawn got a "lemon" with a bad left crankcase cover, or stator bolts loosely installed at the factory.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #19

THE BOLTS TIGHTENED DOWN VERY SOLID THEY FELT GOOD AND TIGHT SO IM GUESSING THE COVER IS FINE. I ONLY COMPLETELY REMOVED THE BOLT THAT WAS BOUNCING AROUND AND IT DIDNT HAVE ANY LOCTITE ON IT. IF IT HAD ANY I WOULD HAVE MOST LIKELY SAW SOME RESIDUE AND REALIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE USED MORE. I DONT DOUBT THE MECHANIC TIGHTENED THE BOLTS BUT WITHOUT LOCTITE THEY SLOWLY VIBERATED LOOSE. I GUESS THAT BEING SAID AT MY NEXT OIL CHANGE I WILL MOST LIKELY USE SOME LOCKTITE AND MAYBE CHANGE MY FRONT SPROCKET WHILE IM AT IT.

THANKS SHAWN

I

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #20

Check out Spud's countershaft sprocket mod too. It might save you some trouble down the road.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #21

Quote:
THE BOLTS TIGHTENED DOWN VERY SOLID THEY FELT GOOD AND TIGHT SO IM GUESSING THE COVER IS FINE...
I am sure you are correct. The Zong's left crankcase cover is very robust, and the stator bolts tighten very securely into it.
Quote:
...I ONLY COMPLETELY REMOVED THE BOLT THAT WAS BOUNCING AROUND AND IT DIDNT HAVE ANY LOCTITE ON IT. IF IT HAD ANY I WOULD HAVE MOST LIKELY SAW SOME RESIDUE AND REALIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE USED MORE...
Yes, you would definitely have seen some residue from the loctite. When I did my left crankcase cover modification, I saw a lot of loctite residue on the stator bolts when I removed them from the original crankcase cover. Zongshen definitely uses loctite on these bolts when they assemble the motorcycle. I think a skilled mechanic should have also used loctite when he replaced the bolts.
Quote:
...I DONT DOUBT THE MECHANIC TIGHTENED THE BOLTS BUT WITHOUT LOCTITE THEY SLOWLY VIBERATED LOOSE. I GUESS THAT BEING SAID AT MY NEXT OIL CHANGE I WILL MOST LIKELY USE SOME LOCKTITE AND MAYBE CHANGE MY FRONT SPROCKET WHILE IM AT IT...
If I might offer a suggestion, plan on doing my left crankcase cover modification at your next oil change.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7559

Also, install a 13-tooth, or 14-tooth sprocket when you replace your countershaft sprocket. If you give a smaller countershaft sprocket a try, I am confident you will not want to return to the larger, 15-tooth sprocket that comes from the factory.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7727
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7565

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Check out Spud's countershaft sprocket mod too. It might save you some trouble down the road.
Thank you, Doc.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #23

lets see for the questions realworld: i hate to say it but the sierra 200 will die the replacement is listed on the website sort of zong will not import any new models untill they sell off the old stock already here and approved,but that makes sense to me the replacement is a 150cc (i hate the idea my 240 lb self) but according to my sources its MUCH lighter MUCH FASTER and more expensive thanks to aluminum frame watercooling and overhead CAMS (please note the s as in 2) yes begging has already began by me me to get one of the prototypes even without papers. now number 2 question for spud what i was refurring to was the quality improvements i go 100% with the serria, storm, and the sport as some of the best china bikes. but with the improvemnets that we see from some of the "other" brands what is zong capable of? japan may be looking over its shoulder and i have seen a 600cc zong, well pics anyhow, that was to be released before the economy took this dive i cant show it but im sure pictures are out somewhere of a zong called a sh@&k (hint its a mean fish) im not sure if i can realease the name so i wont :wink:
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #24

Phil, that is a huge amount of info, and I will try to sort it out. I wonder how many Zong 200s they still have. What kind of a grade would you give the Storm? I have a friend who has one and he likes it.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #25

For the money i like the storm ,besides a jonny pag or similar bike costing 2x the storm really looks good. something like 80 sierras are left and should be comming on sale SOON i was promised a lower cash price on the sierra, i dont know how much or really how i can pay cash so we have to wait btw this is all here say i dont have any thing in writing or firsthand
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #26

I understand. The new bikes must be coming in containers as we speak. It is kind of sad to see the old bike go. The Zong owners like their bikes. Thanks for the info.