Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #1

best oil to use

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but been reading in here for a while and seen alot of good info and just ordered a china ATV, thought I would give one a try, and i was just wondering what you think is the best oil to run in a TAOTAO ATA 250D

Old 08-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #2

oil for atv

Do you mean grade of oil .. like 10-40??? or who;s brand of oil??? I use the shell 10 w -40 in mine and for cooler times of the year.,.. 10w 30..

Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

I firmly believe that wet clutches need motorcycle oil. If on a budget, Castrol 10W40 or 15W40 motorcycle oil is available at Wal-Mart for cheap.

Regular car oil has friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

Would a CVT style transmission in a quad require motorcycle oil as well? Or just regular oil with the correct weight?

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Would a CVT style transmission in a quad require motorcycle oil as well? Or just regular oil with the correct weight?
Good question. On the GY6 scooter style I would say no, but on the little 50-110cc quads I an not sure. I don't know how they are setup.

Allen

Old 08-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #6

CVT is different; the clutch is dry and external. In that case, run whatever you wish. In our CVT, we use 10W30 synthetic.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
CVT is different; the clutch is dry and external. In that case, run whatever you wish. In our CVT, we use 10W30 synthetic.
Okay good, it is what I had 'thought' but I got a bit nervous there. I'm running 15/40 Diesel oil in my quads. Seems to be doing fine. I couldn't 'find' 10/40 anywhere initially, but have subsequently seen it recently.

The YZ on the other hand, has Mobil 1 Synthetic, 15W-50, non energy conserving oil in it. For the price, one might think it has gold flakes in it! For my coming oil change, I may try the specific YamaLube to see if it's different, worse, better..

Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Okay good, it is what I had 'thought' but I got a bit nervous there. I'm running 15/40 Diesel oil in my quads. Seems to be doing fine. I couldn't 'find' 10/40 anywhere initially, but have subsequently seen it recently.

The YZ on the other hand, has Mobil 1 Synthetic, 15W-50, non energy conserving oil in it. For the price, one might think it has gold flakes in it! For my coming oil change, I may try the specific YamaLube to see if it's different, worse, better..
Are you referring to your daughter's quads when you ask about CVT? If so, those quads are automatic clutches, not CVT. I would definitely use motorcycle oil in an automatic clutch.

Re synthetic oil, try Motul. It's available at most bike shops, but I've found the best price at 3-D Cycle in Abbotsford.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 AM   #9

Most cycles that share tranny and motor oil probably would do best (as Weld said) with cycle oil. Less friction modifiers and more molecular stability when being chewed by gears.

However.....I have had ok luck with running 15-40W diesel truck oil (maybe more zinc in it?).
I do change fairly often, so that probably keeps me outa trouble.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Are you referring to your daughter's quads when you ask about CVT? If so, those quads are automatic clutches, not CVT. I would definitely use motorcycle oil in an automatic clutch.
Hey D,

Why do you say they are automatic clutches and not CVT? The Gio website specifies they are CVT's in their specs page...and yes I was referring to my daughters units. Neither of the manuals say to use motorcyle oil, but they are rather confusing.
Quote:
Re synthetic oil, try Motul. It's available at most bike shops, but I've found the best price at 3-D Cycle in Abbotsford.
Funny how I'm pretty anal about 'manufacturer's specified' oils in my cars, yet I go and put something other in my bike since I read on the Thumpertalk forum others were having success with it. I thought perhaps I should give the YamahaLube a try since that's what the dealer recommends... I will have a look at options when in Daytona later in the week.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #11

When they say CVT, they're trying to describe the traditional horizontal Honda clone fully automatic (automatic clutch and gears). When I say CVT, I'm describing a Continually Variable Transmission, which is accomplished by two pulleys and a belt (that's over-simplified, but workable). Since your daughter's quads have wet clutches, motorcycle oil is advised.

Motul is a worls class racing oil. Do a search on it, and see if you'd like to try it.