Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

Taotao or Giovanni 110cc

I am interested in purchasing a 110cc but before I buy one, I wanted to ask which brand is better. Taotao or Giovanni.

I have the option to buy either of these bikes:

http://www.giobikes.com/ATVs-in-Cana...Quad-4-Stroke/ (I can get better price in auction)

http://www.taotao.us/ATA-110D1.htm

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #2

I have no experience with the Giovannis- but it seems like there are an inordinate number of posts on various forums askinjg how to repair them.

I have seen the quality (or lack thereof) of Tao Tao (see my thread entitled Review: Vbike 300 Monster)- and while they seem to use solid motors and trannys, the overall quality of Tao Tao is not great- specifically the frame and electrical system and quality control issues.

The Chinese bikes I have found to be of the highest quality so far, has been Kandi. I'd go out of my way to buy a Kandi. The one I had (badged as a Vbike V4SW) was, in my opinion, of Japanese quality at a Chinese price.

Ultimately though, if the bike is just intended for your kid to ride around once in a while and your handy mechanically, any of these bikes should do. Just remember they are not all created equal...and by searching out the higher quality ones, you can get a lot more for your money in so far as satisfaction and reliability.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #3

I am not still sure. The only brand which sell in our area are either taotao or Giovanni. I live in Canada, and I could not find any retailer selling kandi bikes. I have a Giovanni 50cc which was pretty good but gave some problems. From looking at the pictures the taotao looks better than the Giovanni.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #4

I have been pretty happy with my Gio's.
I don't know about the Tao Tao, but with Gio, there shouldn't be problems with parts availability.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Yes, the part warranty are nice on the giovanni. It seems the taotao has more features. It comes with the foot brake, front drum brake and remote start.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

I have a GIO 110CC Beast en route for my daughter to zoom (crawl first) around on with me on the property if you haven't bought yet I'll let you know what I think of it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM   #7

Which bike?

I have purchase and assembled both brands. The gio will be a faster bike for sure. The taotao seems to have a little more thought and quality in my opinion. Another option are the zstar bikes. I've also assembled many of these. Depending on the age of your child and where they are intending to ride, I think all are great bikes and comparable. Even a Honda breaks down!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

Why is the giovanni faster though.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

gio's faster

My best guess is that it's in the gearing in the cvt transmission. Both zstar and Taotao have more power for the same size, but go slower at top end. For small kids my preference are the slower bikes. But that is mearly my opinion.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #10

Here are my options:

125cc taotao

or

200cc giovanni

I am not sure which one to get, obviously the one with the bigger engine but taotao has better quality.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #11

Which bike to pick.....

I have both the 125 tao tao assembled and the 200cc beast assembled. I guess it all boils down to what kind of riding will be done. The beast is much faster, and sporty looking. The 125 Tao tao is a great kids bike with reverse. I have three boys, the youngest two both have the 125cc Tao Tao's, and the oldest uses a 200cc gio beast. My boys are aged 11, 13, and 15. The youngest two also share a 125cc Gio dirtbike, while the oldest has the smaller wheeled 250cc Gio dirtbike. My wife and I both enjoy the 400cc 4X4 Zstar quads. I also have just assembled a "PRIndustries" 250cc dirt bike for myself. Anyway, back to the comparison, both my younger boys appreciate the 125's as they don't have to use a clutch, and my oldest prefers to use the clutch as he feels it has more power and will work better for him. The 125's seem to run smoother and give a nice ride, top speed is only about 60K, where as the beast will do 80+k. More ground clearance on the 125 than the 200.
Sorry if I've rambled too much...... :oops:

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #12

Wow, alot of atv's and dirtbikes you got there. Which quality is better the taotao or the giovanni.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #13

Which is better???

I can't really say for sure because I've had gio for 3 years and have done lots of repairs on them. The service and parts are great for gio. I've only just started with TaoTao this year, and have had no trouble with them. I also have a 250cc TaoTao quad. Of the three TaoTao's I've had no trouble yet, but have not had much chance to work them yet. They seem to have a little better thought and possibly strength in the frame and design. I like everything I've seen so far from the TaoTao. As I said earlier, it depends on the age of the person who will be riding, and it also depends on the comfort level with a clutch. I personally don't have any major beef with either brands.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:05 AM   #14

Good grief Turnburn, you've got quite the rolling stock there!

Where is it you live? Wondering where you go riding and what you use to roll those things around?

You must have your own toy shed and shop!

I'd love to try the Gio X35 dirtbike just because I think it looks cool..but my wife would crap herself and throw me out of the house if I bought ANOTHER bike to keep the YZ happy!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #15

We live in central Manitoba. Having three son's, gravel pits within a half mile away and a love of motosports......what else can I say? We have a quarter section in the middle of nowhere! We sled in the winter and quad in the summer, sometime in between I go to work to pay for the toys. Have helped many local people get their first quad, nothing more enjoyable than seeing a youngster see thier first quad and take it for a spin. I have nothing but good to say about the China bikes because of the price. You can't expect name brand quality for the price we are paying for these bikes. Many people around here wouldn't have a quad if it were not for the China bikes. Assembled over 200 units last year alone. Out of all of them only two came back with major problems, and one for sure was due to misuse, not machine failure! Love this site, and love China bikes!