Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
anyone know bout kymco

ive been searching for a new toy and ive come across a company called kymco and they have several nice toys id like to have.

venox 250cc
http://www.kymco.com/showroom/showro...-FD2BE53F2349}
hipster 150cc
http://www.kymco.com/showroom/showro...-BCA5B261D93C}
zingll 125cc
http://www.kymco.com/showroom/showro...-2861BD4769BB}

Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

Hi there!

A couple of years ago, when I first opened my shop, I was looking to add a motorcycle dealership/ATV's as I had a lot of unused showroom space.

Kymco was one of the lies I had looked at. They're a Korean brand IIRC, [EDIT: I did not recall correctly. Kymco is Taiwanese *NOT* Korean] Loosely based on Honda's, but somewhat improved. [Edit Some More: Wrong again, they're Yamaha Hacks....] Overall quality rate significantly higher than chinese brands, but they *are* more expensive.

When I was exploring the dealership possibility, I ended up riding a new 2006 model Venox 250. I would say it pulls *much* better than a Honda Rebel, but it is a very small bike. Nice weld quality, and the machine sat very solid on the road, Even with my 255lb 6'7" Arsch on it. (125km/h on a machine with only 300kms on it.)

I know for sure they are available legitimatly here in Canada, and at the time I was looking they had a pretty advanced dealership net in the states.

Strangely enough, I also rode a Kymco "Bet&Win 150" at the same time, and believe it or not, it would haul me and my arsch to 105km/h! It wasn't happy about it, but it would do it.

Overall, I would say for the money they are asking, they do deliver a much higher quality machine, than what we've seen from China recently, but they are borderline into Honda territory. However, the Rebel gives me snore fits, so I'd take the Kymco, even if they were the same price. Supposedly Kymco was going to be adopting Digital Fuel Injection on the motorcycles, but I don't know how far they have got with that idea.

I guess the thing that impressed me most, is they were trying to improve the line, something the Big Jap manufactureres have been unwilling to do to their entry-level bikes for many years... Example Rebel, Virago 250 and Nighthawk...

--Vince

Old 01-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #3

I always wanted a virago 250, till I took my motorcycle course on one. :x

The weld were good, I saw a lot of students go skating across the pavement with their bikes. They all stood up to the abuse. But saddly, the motors were underpowered for the parking lot we were in.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

kmoore like most of the "off"brands i looked into the these too but the price is out of my range and everybody else when you compare lets say just for kicks i tell you quality is better than a honda :wink: and warranty is better :wink: and it runs better :wink: but it costs more, now can i sell you this bike that is a brand you havent seen before i can't see why you would. thats why i picked what i have and im still looking i have to use this reasoning as long as the the distributor works well i like the bargin heres some food for thought kymco or peirspeed scooter Q-link or zongshen, lifan or a wormburger really all the same its just who has the price and thats one reason we are china riders anyway here a link take a seat when you see msrp http://www.strmotorsports.com/showro...250/index.html
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #5

Kymco was at the International Motorcycle Show, last November. They even brought demo bikes and scooters. From the looks of the promotion, I'd say they're a big time player in scooters and small bikes.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #6

kymco venox 250 *MSRP $4,299

ok i think that just killed it for me since i can pick up a new vstar 650 at my local yammy dealer for $5,295

Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Hi there!
Kymco was one of the lies I had looked at. They're a Korean brand IIRC, Loosely based on Honda's, but somewhat improved. ...
--Vince
Kymco-光陽工æ¥è‚¡ä»½æœ‰é å…¬å¸/Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd (Taiwanese company)

Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #8

i dont really care where a bike is made tiwan lithuania china pakistan as long as it will carry my fat hindend down the road at atleast 60 mph and not going to give me a headache everytime i ride it... so far the ole american lifan has not been a bad bike (just the parts not being available) and really only issue ive had is the exaust being defective. ive got a solution to it i just need to run it by an exaust shop to get a price.. and if everything works out and price isnt to high there may be a true dual for this bike (or anything using the virago setup) cheaply....

ive just became bored with the lifan and want something bigger or better..

ifound a dragon 3/4 chopper new for under 800 but dont know if it would pull my 330 lbs down the road at atleast 60 mph (this is where mosy my riding is done)

Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Hi there!
Kymco was one of the lies I had looked at. They're a Korean brand IIRC, Loosely based on Honda's, but somewhat improved. ...
--Vince
Kymco-光陽工æ¥è‚¡ä»½æœ‰é å…¬å¸/Kwang Yang Motor Co, Ltd (Taiwanese company)
Right, Right. Sorry. Yup, Kymco=Taiwan, Hyuosung=Korea. Rode Kymcos, but never made it the Hyosung Dealer. My Bad. I will edit the Original Post to protect those that may come after...

--Vince

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #10

Kymco has some great scooters and is competing well with honda, yamaha, suzuki. The price is slightly cheaper than jap, but much more than a china bike.

Quality is much better though.

Allen

Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #11

I see their scooters in Toronto, but I've seen very few of their bikes here.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #12

ok kymco is definatly out however ive taken a shine to the hyosung 650 avitar

Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #13

the link for anyone not familiar
$5995 new w/2 year parts and labor warranty
650 cc pushing 80hp
and one sexy beast of a bike
dang dang dang i knew i bought the licrapfan to soon.

http://www.hyosungmotors.com/product...er/m_gv650.asp

Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #14

This is the cruiser to put the Japanese to shame--heck the Harleys, too (the low-end ones that cost more, although, in theory, Harley will still have a higher resale value). Youtube has videos of them with aftermarket exhaust (a decent choice of aftermarket parts out there) if you search through them. Keep in mind that United Motors has the same bike but rebadged as United Motors, and might have a better warranty, but I think they cost a little more than the Hyosung brand. I threw that out there because I think the UM's have better graphics and paint, but that is my opinion.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #15

exaust upgrade will consist of tail gunner exaust
http://tailgunner-exhaust.com/rotary...ail08.php?id=1