Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2024, 03:44 AM   #1

Hawk 35 to 45 watt headlight bulb

Looking to bump up the light output on the Hawk on the cheap. I am typically not out at night so just looking for an improvement when riding in the 35-45mph range on back roads(no street lights). Considering at 45/45 watt Hella bulb for less than $5 on Amazon. I did read from one poster that a 60/55 started to melt his headlight so I am trying to find more light without creating other issues. Based on what Megadan posted in another thread which I copied below it seems like there is enough room to suck 10 more watts out of the system. Anyone have "good" luck with a halogen 45/45 bulb or larger? I know there are LED solutions but I not a fan of the color temperature or cost. I like the color temp of halogen in the woods or on dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The typical stator output for the ac ignition 8 pole stator is around 120W maximum at a nominal 12V. Hence why they run a a 10 amp fuse.

Could it keep up? Half your stator output would be.going to just those lights. Alone.

H4 halogen 35w bulb for the headlight. Tail light is around 9 watts low, brake is 25w.

On lighting alone, at a stoplight, you would be consuming 120 watts on just main lighting. Not including dash lights or anything else.

Safe to say you would be outpacing the charging system just slightly while those lights are on.

You could try to buy yourself a little wiggle room with a good LED headlight. The one I use is fanless, very bright, and uses 20 watts. https://www.superbrightleds.com/h4-l...set-cool-white

I have a.red.led tail light from them that uses about 8 watts for the brake and 2 for tail.

That gives about 20 watts of wiggle room right there.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:05 AM   #2

Those bulbs do get really hot. led bulbs also get hot, but not as hot.

Are led bulbs that expensive? Must a less expensive alternative than $60.

And the potential for draining the battery is there too. You could end up having to buy a new headlight housing if it melts!

Old 01-09-2024, 08:05 AM   #3

Switch to LED and get a set of fog/driving lights. These work well. I have them on my Vulcan S. Really light up the road. https://amzn.to/48qL9Wq And used this switch. https://amzn.to/3Ub9JGH
I have these LED bulbs on my Hawk and Vulcan S as well. https://amzn.to/48nwOKg They use to sell them as single pack but don't see them anymore.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 01-09-2024 at 12:59 PM.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Switch to LED and get a set of fog/driving lights. These work well. I have them on my Vulcan S. Really light up the road. https://amzn.to/48qL9Wq And used this switch. https://amzn.to/3Ub9JGH
I have these LED bulbs on my Hawk and Vulcan S as well. https://amzn.to/48nwOKg They use to sell them as single but don't see them anymore.
There is a 6000K version for ATV/powersports applications. Might have to slightly aim it more downwards, but sold one at a time on Amazon for $20
Description is
AUTOONE H4 9003 LED Bulbs Super Bright, 6000K White 9003 HB2 Light Bulb for Powersports ATVs, Canbus Plug and Play IP67 Easy Fit (Pack of 1)

Will this work?

Old 01-10-2024, 03:14 AM   #5

Jerryhawk, have you been using the Autoone LEDs for awhile in your bikes? I read some recent reviews on Amazon with folks saying they died in a number of weeks or a few months. Or they had flicker issues.

Thumper, I did find the $20 single listing on Amazon, thanks for the search string.

Regarding the halogen I think if I did go that route I'd check the amp draw on the stock light first. Even though on paper it says 35 watts that may not be true. Shoot now I am curious, I am just going to check what the stock light and daytime running lights actually draw. If the stock light is close to 25watts then 45 would be a pretty big jump up in brightness and heat.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAdventures View Post
Jerryhawk, have you been using the Autoone LEDs for awhile in your bikes? I read some recent reviews on Amazon with folks saying they died in a number of weeks or a few months. Or they had flicker issues.

Thumper, I did find the $20 single listing on Amazon, thanks for the search string.

Regarding the halogen I think if I did go that route I'd check the amp draw on the stock light first. Even though on paper it says 35 watts that may not be true. Shoot now I am curious, I am just going to check what the stock light and daytime running lights actually draw. If the stock light is close to 25watts then 45 would be a pretty big jump up in brightness and heat.
I've been using them for a while. I have them on my wife and daughters cars, my last Ram and two motorcycles with no issues. I recently installed a complete set on my Ram including the fog light. I did have a slight flicker on one bulb after 4 months. The bulb comes with a two year warranty and Autoone sent out two new bulbs even though I only needed one. All the seller asked for was a picture of the batch number so they track any issues with the manufacturer.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-10-2024, 06:57 PM   #7

Jerryhawk, thanks for taking the time to share the additional feedback on the Autoone bulbs, I appreciate that. I don't know you from the man one the moon but I'll take your feedback over amazon reviews any day.

I did check headlight watts by checking the amp draw of the headlight. My method was to check amps at the plug by the fuse holder coming off the battery. I started with my Fluke multimeter only to learn the fuse in it was shot so I couldn't check amps with it. So I dug out a free Harbor Freight multimeter which was up to the job. With the key on I was showing about .25 amps which is the dash lights. Then with the headlight and tail light on it jumped up to about 3.25 amps which would be the addition of the daylight running light, headlight on low beam and tail light. So an additional 3 amps for that combination. 12.8 volts x 3 amps = 38.4 watts which probably makes the head light close to a 35 watt bulb.

Edit: I previously posted that it was .25 amps for the dash and tail light. I didn't realize the tail light was off. So I corrected my findings above.

Last edited by DSAdventures; 01-10-2024 at 07:32 PM.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:10 PM   #8

Got the LED bulb in today, it's this one on "Amazon AUTOONE H4 9003 LED Bulbs Super Bright, 6000K White 9003 HB2 Light Bulb for Powersports ATVs, Canbus Plug and Play IP67 Easy" Same one JerryHawk has had good luck with. The bulb housing is slightly bigger than stock so I had to increase the size of the collar that holds the bulb in place. I just used a drill with a 3/8" bit acting like a Dremel tool to hog out the center of the collar.

Also got my Fluke meter working and measured an 1.45 amp reduction with the LED bulb in place vs factory halogen. Amp measurements with LED bulb are:
.25 Key on, dash lights only
2.6 Above plus headlight low beam
4.0 Above plus brake light
5.5 Above plus blinker, this number pulsates as the blinker flashes but seems to max around 5.5.

I may need to consider grip heaters as there are few watts to spare.

As others have noted switching to this type of bulb is an improvement over stock. I am not intending to be using this bike much after dark but if needed it has a manageable headlight now. Not a fan of the 6,000k color temperature but since it will have limited night time rides it's doable.