Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2023, 10:42 AM   #1

New and asking advice

Hey there! I live in Texas and am looking to add a dual sport to my life. Here is where I am in the process. Buying, haha. Mind you I am not mechanical in experience. Done electrical work, electronics work, and am capable of learning.
I’m stuck between three and would like to k ow what y’all think.
Hawk DLX, Hawk DLX EFI, and Lifan xpect
250/250/200 respectively.
If I saved the money and bought the carb Hawk, what should I expect and how hard is it for someone with no experience to work on. I have watched so many reviews it hurts my head. All and any advice is welcomed. I don’t want to save the few bucks and end up pissed with nothing to ride because I can’t work on it.
Cheers!
Ken

Old 07-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #2

The Hawk DLX is the EFI version. The carbed version is just the Hawk 250. The immediately noticeable difference is the DLX has the beefie forks.

I would recommend the carbed Hawk 250, but I'm biased since I bought one. Mine runs perfectly right out of the box, but I think I am the exception rather than the rule. I live in Wyoming at around 6800 feet. If you feel comfortable with removing the carb (not hard at all) and cutting slots with a dremel, the stock carb can be made to work at your elevation. Or you can buy a new carb that has the access built in, no need for dremeling slots.

The reason I stayed away from the DLX (EFI version) is that EFI, in my mind, is way too much tech to throw at these SIMPLE engines. Also, more failure points. That is the extent of my $.02

Welcome to the site. This place is maximum cool.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-22-2023, 02:08 PM   #3

Just a thought about EFI is that if you don’t live on flat ground FI may be rather nice!

Old 07-22-2023, 02:52 PM   #4

Awesome! I do live in Texas, the elevation is not high, but it’s very good points for me to consider. I want to develop some skills so I may go carb route.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kencgould View Post
Hey there! I live in Texas and am looking to add a dual sport to my life. Here is where I am in the process. Buying, haha. Mind you I am not mechanical in experience. Done electrical work, electronics work, and am capable of learning.
I’m stuck between three and would like to know what y’all think.
Hawk DLX, Hawk DLX EFI, and Lifan xpect
The bottom line is what do you want to do with it? I have owned the X-pect and do own the Lifan KPX.

Three things against the X-pect (for me):
-- seat shape, which kept me practically on the tank; I'm 5'11", 31" inseam. I like a flat seat.
-- non-suitability for highway use; too slow and unstable.
-- 19" front/16" rear tire; hard to find good replacements.
Each of these turned out to be a deal-breaker for me, so I sold it pretty quickly, to a guy who didn't have these issues.

If you want an entry-level bike to see if this is for you, I'd say the base Hawk. If you prefer and will pay for EFI and better forks, then the Hawk DLX. Both should do OK on highways with the 250cc motor, and of course you can gear it to your preference.

But if money isn't too tight, consider the Lifan KPX. Overall better build quality than a Hawk. Also, I don't think EFI is a failure point to be concerned with. All cars in the US have been EFI since 1990, so I think everyone has this figured out by now. Most street motorcycles are now EFI too except for some legacy holdouts, usually dual-sports.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-22-2023, 05:43 PM   #6

Since you live in Texas ,you might be a good candidate to buy a bike from the most despicable seller “Manny” but only if you can go get it in person and check for damage etc .He is a scumbag but if you purchase in person you should be fine .Search Manny on this site if you want to find out which dealerships he owns .Don’t let them assemble it ,they don’t know how to do it properly and you will have to do it yourself once you get it home anyway .
We have a fix,cure ,replacement option for everything on the standard Hawk on this site ,we don’t have the same for any other bike especially the FI bikes ,re jetting a carb is so simple ,even a caveman has done it .
Once again ,Only purchase from Manny if you can do it in person ,(and while you are there give him several hard kicks to his nutsack for the members who he screwed ) and do not let him or his children assemble your bike .

Old 07-22-2023, 11:40 PM   #7

Manny sounds like a dirty Mexican. It's ok, I can say that because I'm a semi-dirty Mexican...Dios mio...mi gente!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin