Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2023, 06:29 AM   #1

2022 SSR XF250 Issues

Hello! I recently purchased a 2022 SSR XF250 Enduro bike and I'm having a major issue with it and decided I would come here seeking help.

Upon getting the bike registered and insured I took it out on the road before work one morning the bike was running well. As I approached my driveway I pulled in the clutch in preparation for slowing down, upon depressing the clutch lever I heard something rattle for a second and the rear brake completely locked up causing me to skid from 55mph-0mph.

At first, I attempted to push the bike the remaining few feet to my driveway but the bike wouldn't move even with the clutch pulled in. It was almost as if the bike was stuck in gear however, I did get the bike to move (only with the clutch lever pulled in) while it was in 5th gear.

Explanation of issue:
1st Issue: Sometimes I can't change gears when I hit the gear shifter ill either be able to sift between 2 gears (I assume 4,5th) but other times I am able to shift through all the gears(the bike is off not running)

2nd Issue: The bike only moves in 5th gear with the clutch pulled if I attempt to move the bike in any other gear, clutch depressed or not the bike will roll freely for approx 1 inch and lock up.

Things I have checked:
1: All wet clutch components are operating as they should clutch basket has no wear clutch discs are normal.

2:Shift shaft is fine, the shift shaft ratchet is fine, and the gear shift ratchet is normal and moves.

3:Clutch cable is good

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be I really don't want to take the engine out to split the case and get to the transmission but that's the only thing left that I can think of the bike only has 140miles on it any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 07-14-2023, 07:35 AM   #2

Sounds like warranty work to me.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #3

You sound like you know what you're doing, so forgive me for asking: did you try adjusting the clutch at the lever?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-14-2023, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Sounds like warranty work to me.
I bought the bike from a private seller and called my local dealer for SSR they said "If it did have a warranty it would only be for a year" It is past the 1-year mark I also was just going to bring the bike to them for them to work on it but they said they wouldn't be able to even look at it until August.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
You sound like you know what you're doing, so forgive me for asking: did you try adjusting the clutch at the lever?
So originally the previous owner purchased a new clutch lever and brake lever after closer inspection of the bike I noticed one strand of the clutch cable at the lever had come undone and it was obvious someone was messing with it in the past so I messed with it a bit and no change.

One thing I did notice and I'm not sure if its normal for the bike but 4 out of the 5 clutch discs move when I pull the lever the disc closest to the engine does not move though but even if I move it by hand the bike is still locked. I also noticed the disk closest to the engine is smaller than the 4 other ones and I'm not sure if it is meant to be.

I don't specifically know what I'm doing I am a small engine mechanic but never really worked on dirt bikes or 4 wheelers so this is all new to me and I'm sourcing information/troubleshooting ideas through the internet.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:10 AM   #6

The rattling sound before the rear wheel locking up...that just sounds bad. I'm assuming you were in 5th when it happened? Unfortunately, sounds like the transmission. Don't take my word for it, tho. Wait for Megadan or JerryHawk to weigh in.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-14-2023, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
The rattling sound before the rear wheel locking up...that just sounds bad. I'm assuming you were in 5th when it happened? Unfortunately, sounds like the transmission. Don't take my word for it, tho. Wait for Megadan or JerryHawk to weigh in.
Yeah, unfortunately, I also believe it's an engine-out fix. I was in 5th gear when it happened. The rattling sound was faint and brief but my assumption is this was the previous owner's first motorcycle. And they didn't know how to properly shift gears, causing excessive wear on the transmission components ie shift forks...

Old 07-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerkaa View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, I also believe it's an engine-out fix. I was in 5th gear when it happened. The rattling sound was faint and brief but my assumption is this was the previous owner's first motorcycle. And they didn't know how to properly shift gears, causing excessive wear on the transmission components ie shift forks...
I've done it. Wound out in 3rd on a Honda Trail 90, looking for another gear and dowshifted into 2nd. More than once. smh

Old 07-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
I bought the bike from a private seller and called my local dealer for SSR they said "If it did have a warranty it would only be for a year" It is past the 1-year mark I also was just going to bring the bike to them for them to work on it but they said they wouldn't be able to even look at it until August.
Oh, gotcha. I thought you had recently bought it new.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:31 AM   #10

Before assuming the worst, have you taken off the front counter shaft sprocket cover. Visually inspect both sprockets and the chain if you haven’t done that. My first thought when you said you heard something rattle and then it locked up was you picked something up into your chain or your countershaft sprocket or rear sprocket bolt come out.
2022 Venom Ghost chopper 250
1997 Honda GL1500 Goldwing
1978 Kawasaki KL250
https://youtube.com/@herbiesgarage681

Old 07-14-2023, 02:19 PM   #11

Didn't we have a post by a member here who threw one of the retainer bolts on the sprocket and the broken bits jammed his chain? I seem to recall something like that. Might be worth looking into.

Fronts and rears. The rear sprocket bolts on these bikes are a known failure point. Usually that results in spinning the engine but not getting any go at the back wheel, but one of the bolts could now be jammed someplace up under the chain, probably under the front sprocket cover.

It's worth a look. However, which gear the bike is in would not impact whether or not it would roll if the chain were simply jammed with something, as OP has described. I think he's got a fragment of something wedged in the transmission.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Before assuming the worst, have you taken off the front counter shaft sprocket cover. Visually inspect both sprockets and the chain if you haven’t done that. My first thought when you said you heard something rattle and then it locked up was you picked something up into your chain or your countershaft sprocket or rear sprocket bolt come out.
Hey! So I haven't specifically inspected the chain however I don't believe that wouldn't be the issue as I did start the bike again and I did test to see if the gears would move under power, the only gear I could operate the motorcycle in was 5th and the bike moved under its own power in 5th gear and wasn't locked like how it was in the other gears (Didn't run it for long only drove a few feet forward in 5th) also maybe worth mentioning in the other gears the bike tries to move forward and it will a little but then it locks up after about an inch.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #13

Definitely sounds like a part broken off in there and wedging itself in.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey! So I haven't specifically inspected the chain however I don't believe that wouldn't be the issue as I did start the bike again and I did test to see if the gears would move under power, the only gear I could operate the motorcycle in was 5th and the bike moved under its own power in 5th gear and wasn't locked like how it was in the other gears (Didn't run it for long only drove a few feet forward in 5th) also maybe worth mentioning in the other gears the bike tries to move forward and it will a little but then it locks up after about an inch.
I think the next step is to remove the clutch cover and check out your shifting mechanism, shaft, linkage, shift drum and gently go through the gears and observe what's happening. I've had similar issues when a shift link was disengaged from the shift drum. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #15

So after messing with it more I've kind of freed it up if anyone could explain how to engine chain shaft works and what it attaches to because I believe something inside the case on the chain shaft was stuck which is why I felt the bike was stuck in 5th gear and the bike wouldn't move in any other gear

I came home today and pushed the bike by hand and kept shifting gears and finally, I w as able to kind of move it in 4th,3rd,2nd,1st and I heard a squealing sound almost as if the brakes were being applied so I checked those and they are fine I then realized the sound was coming from the chain shaft that goes into the case

I can now move the bike in any gear but there is still some resistance upon starting the bike it seems like it is free for the most part but there is still a noise any ideas what it could be?