Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2021, 11:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65cabriolet View Post
In your first post you said you had issues with the starter, is the lock up mechanical in nature or is there possibly something else wrong that would be affecting the battery?
Well, before, I thought the starter was just locking up. Then I'd notice that sometimes, the decompression valve would open. There were just times when it wouldn't time right, and the decompressing valve wouldn't open, and the starter couldn't turn the engine over. Not too big a deal to me. I can fix that later.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #17

Been stupid busy the last week. Finally checked the rectifier today. I'm not getting any reverse flow from the tests I saw. One of the diodes gives a 1.0+v reading. From the videos I saw, I'm supposed to be seeing .3-.6 across all three prongs (4 prong rectifier). I tested two other rectifiers the same way. One (on the parts x15 60cc) and it gave the same readings. The other one was new that came with the new wire harness I bought for anther bike. I only got a reading out of one prong.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #18

Falcon, unless your battery has been completely drained and then left in that state for a month or two it should still accept a charge. The problem could lie with the battery charger cause if it is an automatic charger it relies on the battery being charged to set up the charger output. If you have a charger that has cranking assist setting you can go to cranking which would give the battry some charge to start with and then after about 3 or 4 minutes switch over the chrger to auto charge. Obviousely if the battery has an internal open circuit then nothing will help. with a charged battery you should be able to see if the rectifier is draining the battery by setting your meter to the amp scale and then testing between the positive from the rectifier and the battery positive.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:48 PM   #19

Yeah, I have an automatic battery charger/battery tender. The voltage is too low to get it to charge. I can try and see if one of my other batteries can give it a little juice to get the charger to see something. At this point, it doesn't even recognize it. But, I missed a few details about the battery dying. The bike can sit not running for a week with the key on, and not have a problem. It's after about an hour or two of run time does the battery die. That's what happened with both batteries. I pulled a third battery from another bike so I can test the bike while running, but it won't start now, so I'm diagnosing that problem too. Fun!!!

But, I will give what you mentioned a try and see if that could be a possible culprit as well. I'm always open to suggestions.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #20

If your stator or rectifier are not putting anything into the battery when running then the battery alone is supporting the ignition system and will soon go flat and as the voltage gets low the bike will not run at all well. So next time you get it running put your meter across the battery terminals and if a 12 volt system you should see at least 13.6 to 14.5 volts.

Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 AM   #21

https://granttiller.com/testing-your...ycle-rectifier

Found this lovely post, just in case anyone else runs into this problem, and needs steps to test our regulators.

Also, I've done as many tests as I could with the bike not running. Gonna try and get it running this evening after work. I bought a new carb for it a few weeks ago, and haven't put it on yet. As of now, I'm thinking that's why it's not running. It was kinda crappy in the beginning, but I think it's completely crap now. I can also take this time to add a fuel valve. The thing is fed on both sides of the fuel tank and no petcock was installed from the factory.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:46 AM   #22

MotoTec X1

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever figure out the cause?