Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #16

While mine are new and still breaking in, I leave a little space at the top closures. Allows the boot to act like it's got a hinge. Give just a little extra movement of the toes up and down to allow for shifting.
Moving the lever up is a must though. The size of the boot requires it, for me anyway.

Old 08-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #17

A guy on another site suggested that I get rid of the linkage and use a short shifter available on either Amazon or Ebay. Well, I bought one and put it on today. I have no idea why they ever put that linkage in there. Now I can shift fine with any foot wear.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
A guy on another site suggested that I get rid of the linkage and use a short shifter available on either Amazon or Ebay. Well, I bought one and put it on today. I have no idea why they ever put that linkage in there. Now I can shift fine with any foot wear.
That works even better, and I agree with you. Eliminating that linkage is a plus for multiple reasons. One less failure point/thing to break being one.

You should post a link or a picture of it for any other guys that might have this issue/question.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #19

Old 08-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyd View Post
Interesting you posted this because I just got my first pair ever after riding for 25 years. I should have done it waaaay sooner. Anyway I had the same issue and realized I had developed a bad habit of riding with my toes down and shifting.

I did indeed move my shifter up 1 notch, and I've also noticed as my boots break in and I get more used to them it's becoming more natural.

I'm not familar with the magician though, I have the hawk.

One thing I noted was I used to shift by really getting under the shift lever so that it was across the top of my foot. With my boots on, and mine even have a little rubber section for shifting (Oneal Sierra Pro) I find I'm really only getting the end of the shifter with my boot....I'm not sure if that makes sense but once I started doing that it became MUCH easier...still need to break old habits though.

I have those same boots. They are fantastic. One of the best motorcycle purchases I'm made. They weren't much for break in. Not like MX boots in that regard.

John

Old 08-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #21

Another thing that will help is practice.
MX boots force you to ride properly, with the balls of your feet on the pegs. Shifting should require sliding your boot forward under the shifter and then quickly back onto the peg. Don't let out your clutch out until your back on the peg, or at least your toe is clear of the shifter. It will be just as quick and smooth to shift after some practice. Think of it like a quick "kicking" motion. Your bike won't shift with the lever up so be quick to get that boot out and back before letting out the clutch. You can expect some miss shifts for a bit until you get the timing down. I had to teach my girlfriend this to get her to wear her boots and be protected. She went from hating her boots to absolutely loving them.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #22

I rode a bunch off road today. Felt great, missed 2 shifts for the whole time and 1 was on pavement while I was coming back. That linkage on the Magician is absolutely worthless. All the linkage does is cause a weak point if you're doing any off road riding.