Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #1

VA Title and registration without MCO

Hello fellow riders. So I’m looking at buying a used hawk. It’s a 2015 and the seller does not have a title or the mco/mso. Has anyone titled and registered their bike without the mso or mco paperwork from the manufacturer

Old 10-29-2020, 05:43 AM   #2

It will be next to impossible to get this bike titled without a current title or the MCO. It will likely cost you more than the bike is worth. You would be better off buying a new Hawk from one of the current distributors and starting fresh. You may be able to get a plate for the used bike, but that would be it. I don't know what the time parameters are in VA for transfer of ownership with a bill of sale. If the current owner never titled or plated it, the DMV will likely reject a bill of sale since they can't prove they actually owned the bike to begin with. If you need a bike to putter around the farm without plates and the price is right, this might be worth looking at. Otherwise, I'd move on and find something that you can put on the street with the minimum of fuss.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-29-2020, 09:02 AM   #3

Thank you for the information. I am going to call the dmv today just to confirm. But I had a feeling I would need the mco.

Old 10-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

Let us know what you find out. I really think you’ll have an uphill battle and then some trying to get a bike that was never registered or plated on the road. Especially without having an MCO or title.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #5

I know it is different from state to state but you might be able to do a salvage title.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #6

Man - I'm in VA and a NEW bike was already a PITA to get on the road.. Was the bike registered and plated with the previous owner?

Did you get anywhere on this? My local DMV told me that my MCO was a fraudulent document, didn't have a watermark, and didn't have perforated edges... yep, fake bike too.
I honestly think it was just about WHO was trying to register the bike... small town BS..

I don't know if you considered your option of 'FARM USE' plates lol.. but eh, I see tons of people on the road with them, the road.. not a farm - and within city limits... Don't know names, nor would release - but apparently someone in a few counties away got farm use plates on a new Tacoma because of not being able to get in the DMV

"How To Transfer Ownership Of A Car Without A Title:
If the seller has lost or misplaced the title, they will need to obtain a duplicate title before they can transfer ownership of the car to you. Requesting a duplicate title costs $10 with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles."

^^ If that helps anything. Or if you can find someone with a brain at the DMV to actually get that in motion for you.

Have you spoken with the seller about obtaining a new title / MCO? I know it's November now lol but I'm finally getting traction on putting mine on the road.

Or - and this is last resort - just grab a moped plate at Walmart jk..

Old 11-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #7

You can title it through Vermont with just a receipt I beleive .

Old 11-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
You can title it through Vermont with just a receipt I beleive .
That would be nice to be able to do in Va! But, not that easy.. Va wants to see the bill of sale - as well as documents specific to the bike. Even with my retitle (15 bucks), I still have to send that to Richmond with my VSA-130 to verify that it's 'street legal' and has lights / tail light and mirrors. In all - $130.00. My MSO that came initially was blank - no name on the back or shop name to transfer over. That caused some issue at my local DMV but that's a different rant. . . I know there are a few around here, no idea who has them or I'd be trying to get a group together - but the auto shop I use for state inspections said they've passed a few Hawks. That also requires a MSO / title to get inspected; at least what they told me. Maybe because I don't have plates yet - but waiting on that. My insurance, Geico, was able to pull my bike up and all - 20 bucks a month, not bad. I hate Geico though lol

It may be almost impossible without knowing / talking to the right people.. Every DMV I've been to has staff that sigh when work or forms have to be filled / checked.. it's kind of demeaning. But, I luckily found someone that knew what we had to do.. With the state of everything now too - I had to wait over a month to get in, and then an additional two weeks to go back and finish because on the initial trip the 'VIN machine' was down? But, I have an actual title for it now. I'm still curious if the original owner could get a hold of the seller to get a new title. Though, to get a different MCO I had to scan the original to them..

Old 11-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicle...larsalvage.asp

There is the salvage title stuff.. more forms and rabbit holes looks like to me.. needs appraisal of damages?..

Old 11-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump Kibbles View Post
That would be nice to be able to do in Va! But, not that easy.. Va wants to see the bill of sale - as well as documents specific to the bike. Even with my retitle (15 bucks), I still have to send that to Richmond with my VSA-130 to verify that it's 'street legal' and has lights / tail light and mirrors. In all - $130.00. My MSO that came initially was blank - no name on the back or shop name to transfer over. That caused some issue at my local DMV but that's a different rant. . . I know there are a few around here, no idea who has them or I'd be trying to get a group together - but the auto shop I use for state inspections said they've passed a few Hawks. That also requires a MSO / title to get inspected; at least what they told me. Maybe because I don't have plates yet - but waiting on that. My insurance, Geico, was able to pull my bike up and all - 20 bucks a month, not bad. I hate Geico though lol

It may be almost impossible without knowing / talking to the right people.. Every DMV I've been to has staff that sigh when work or forms have to be filled / checked.. it's kind of demeaning. But, I luckily found someone that knew what we had to do.. With the state of everything now too - I had to wait over a month to get in, and then an additional two weeks to go back and finish because on the initial trip the 'VIN machine' was down? But, I have an actual title for it now. I'm still curious if the original owner could get a hold of the seller to get a new title. Though, to get a different MCO I had to scan the original to them..
I don’t think you understand what I was saying .There is a loophole with Vermont ,they don’t issue titles to older stuff ,and they don’t issue titles to smaller motorcycles .Many members here and other forums ,living in other states ,send in a receipt and very little else to Vermont who issues them a registration and a set of Vermont plates .You can ride around with Vermont plates if you like ,or you can take the Vermont paperwork to wherever you live and they will transfer it and create a title .I am Canadian ,so I have never done something like this ,but there are hundreds of posts on the net and many on this site ,telling about it in more detail and yes it does work .

Old 11-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I don’t think you understand what I was saying .There is a loophole with Vermont ,they don’t issue titles to older stuff ,and they don’t issue titles to smaller motorcycles .Many members here and other forums ,living in other states ,send in a receipt and very little else to Vermont who issues them a registration and a set of Vermont plates .You can ride around with Vermont plates if you like ,or you can take the Vermont paperwork to wherever you live and they will transfer it and create a title .I am Canadian ,so I have never done something like this ,but there are hundreds of posts on the net and many on this site ,telling about it in more detail and yes it does work .
Hm, interesting - was not aware of that! I used to live in Vegas - a few friends in AZ, they could register their quads and motox bikes for on-road use. Though wasn't able to in Vegas.. I'll have to keep that in mind if I decide to get another Chinese bike. I'm not sure how that's happening without proof of residency but, whatever! If it works, it works.