Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2020, 03:25 AM   #1

New owner in Oregon

Hello!

I recently acquired a 2013 JL250p-2. I was not attempting to. A coworker bought it before work thinking he could get it going as a good bike for his son. After seeing it in person he realized it was going to be more work than he wanted to deal with, but he had driven all the way out to get it so he was damn well going to get it. Total cost was $20. He saw me at work and told me the story and then asked if I wanted it for $20. Sure, why not? My hope is to get it repaired and teach my wife to ride on it. It's definitely not her style bike but if she likes riding...well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Current problems are many. The owner of this thing was not skilled at wiring or general bike maintenance. I've been trying to find info on this bike and that is proving difficult. I'm going to need a new chain but haven't been able to find what chain size it runs.

Bike was last plated in 2017 and I'm pretty sure it was in storage since then. Clutch cable is STIFF. Not sure if that's a byproduct of older or just how these models were. After pulling apart the ignition switch and cleaning all the corrosion off I was able to get power to everything and the bike does crank. The was some gas left in the carb and it's varnish now. Downside is the carb doesn't have screws to remove. It looks like the factory screws were designed to sheer off at a certain torque and keep the carb tamper proof. I'll probably end up drilling them out so I can clean the thing. Trying to get it started before I invest too much into it. It does have all the plastics although I've spent half the day plastic welding all the cracks.

The previous owner put LED bulbs in everything and half of them are flickering. I'm assuming cheap bulbs. He also installed some HID Xenon bulbs in the headlights. I can tell you he was a fan of zip ties, electrical tape and twisting wires together. I do believe the tank has caught fire before. When you buy a complete bike with title for $20 you have to expect some issues. I just wasn't expecting this many.

Hopefully you guys can help me get the bigger issues sorted so I can get my wife riding this season. Below is Bee. She looks like she was jumped by some murder hornets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image23.jpg (52.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg image21.jpg (54.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg image22.jpg (57.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg image18.jpg (53.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg image20.jpg (49.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by thatkid; 08-23-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:32 AM   #2

Anyone know what the goofy thing on the exhaust is? Looks similar to the Secondary Air Intakes on my Daytona in terms of the valve but not sure why it's halfway down the exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (55.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (48.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg image8.jpg (48.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg image11.jpg (45.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by thatkid; 08-23-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:40 AM   #3

Good luck on your project! Hope you can get it running!