Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2019, 12:03 AM   #1

New bike! Choke issues :(

Hello guys!
So I'm pretty excited - never owned a bike before - and on the "buen fin" in Mexico I got a pretty good deal(off the original price) on the 2020 Veloci Xeverus Pro XR 250cc.
Bought the bike 20% off - paid 29,499 pesos(about $1600) when normal price is 36,999(about $2000).

The bike is pretty much a CSC TT250 - with inverted forks and full LED lights and comes with hard plastic hand guards. -(or so it seems).

So on the first 10km of riding on some dirt hills (learning to ride and getting confidence) I fell and bye bye right hand guard XD - snapped in half.

Bike runs awesome I'm forcing myself to not go WOT and stay below 5k rpm for the break in - goes about 65km on 5th gear 5k rpm with the stock sprockets.

TO THE POINT!!
Sorry, was eager to talk about my brand new bike. I'm not sure if the title was click bait but I'm not sure if the choke up is ON and down if OFF and has 3 settings up middle and down. When I picked up the bike the choke lever was all the way down and started with ease revving about 2-3k rpm, so when I got home I moved the idle screw to about 1600-1800.
Now on cold starts the choke all the way down the bike starts with ease but idle is on the 900-1100 range and turns off a few seconds later, I then retry with the choke all the way up and it doesn't turn on, it just cranks and cranks.(when I picked the bike up same thing happened, dude that gave me the bike wasn't the 'technician' and when I asked about the choke he just said that when the bike is warm enough choke lever UP is OFF and bike shouldn't turn off then.)
The problem is I don't want the bike to turn off on cold starts, I've tried various things, starting the bike choke lever up and just cranks, choke lever down and turns on with ease but turns off in a few seconds, I usually have to hold the throttle on the 1500-2k rpm for a few seconds so it won't turn off then all good. I've also tried playing with the choke lever, when the bike is warm and bike is idleing I switch the choke half way and don't notice any difference, I switch the choke lever all the way up and bike turns off.

So I guess my question is which way is the choke lever ON and which way is it OFF, and if what I've said seems odd, any idea on what's wrong? - don't get me wrong I can manage with this, but don't want the bike to have any long term damage if it's not fixed.

Thanks for reading - any comments/ questions are welcome .

Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #2

Down off
Up on
Middle is middle
PZ30 carb?

Old 11-27-2019, 12:16 AM   #3

These are the pics I forgot to upload, hope they are clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191126_210751841.jpg (84.9 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191124_161824392.jpg (99.8 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191123_135023061.jpg (93.4 KB, 398 views)

Old 11-27-2019, 12:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Down off
Up on
Middle is middle
PZ30 carb?
Hmm should it say the name on the carb? I'm not sure.
And so the choke UP(on) it's normal to turn the bike off instantly?

Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAssassin View Post
Hmm should it say the name on the carb? I'm not sure.
And so the choke UP(on) it's normal to turn the bike off instantly?
Can do cause you are choking/restricting air flow without any idle up

Old 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #6

The type of carb these use don't increase idle when the choke is on, and by nature on a cold start the engine idle will be low. You have two options.

1. On a cold start you can bump up the idle speed with the idle speed adjustment screw on the right side of the carb, le tit warm up, and then as you ride, adjust the idle back down.
2. Do not adjust the idle speed and simply nurse the throttle a little to keep the RPMs up during the first minute or so, and then simply start riding the bike gently until it gets some heat into it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Can do cause you are choking/restricting air flow without any idle up
Right right, I thought the same, however carbs have a tiny hole through where the air still flows while it has choke on - just making it Rich. I never heard of the choke's function when ON being, in part, to kill the engine. - that's why I thought something was messed up in my carb.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The type of carb these use don't increase idle when the choke is on, and by nature on a cold start the engine idle will be low. You have two options.

1. On a cold start you can bump up the idle speed with the idle speed adjustment screw on the right side of the carb, le tit warm up, and then as you ride, adjust the idle back down.
2. Do not adjust the idle speed and simply nurse the throttle a little to keep the RPMs up during the first minute or so, and then simply start riding the bike gently until it gets some heat into it.
So in a way - this carburetor's choke is non functional .-., that sucks haha.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyAssassin View Post
So in a way - this carburetor's choke is non functional .-., that sucks haha.
No, it functions just fine, but since it isn't a separate air and fuel circuit there is no fast idle. It just restricts airflow to richen the mixture.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #10

You just need to tune it correctly and use a little throttle while it warms up.
It is a simple cheap version carb like Keihin or Mikuni etc.
Works fine but give the bike some time to warm up

Old 11-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Thnx for your replies guys. Yes it works perfectly it was just that cold starting point I was worried about, wanted to make sure I wasn't running it with the choke on all the time.

Tags
carb issues, csc tt250, hawk 250, new bike