Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Wondering if this is worth the headache

A guy is looking to sell this 250 for 250. Right now it has compression but doesn't spark. He thinks it could be the starter. Any advice / opinion if its worth getting into. This would be my 3rd chinese bike so im not new to the problems they come with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quad.jpg (100.3 KB, 349 views)

Old 09-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #2

Aside from the plastics, it's mostly there. I'd offer him $100

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #3

he wanted 400 for it i got it down to 250. im just wondering if its inflate the tires, de rust exhaust , install a new starter and we are good to go

Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Is it not turning over, or turning over so slowly it doesn't spark? It could just be a CDI/stator, too.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofrozenyogurt View Post
he wanted 400 for it i got it down to 250. im just wondering if its inflate the tires, de rust exhaust , install a new starter and we are good to go
$400 is ridiculous, especially for non-running. $250 is A LOT better, and if it has good compression and rotates, and it's all there, id' say it's worth it. It looks in good shape otherwise. I'd prefer to only pay $150-$200 tops for it.

My 150cc GY6 quad I bought non-running, suspected carb only issue, for $200. Tore carb apart, cleaned it and reassembled with default adjustments and have been riding it ever since. So... $250 for what might just be a bad CDI, I'd probably spring for it, if the quad really speaks to you.

Last edited by Deckard_Cain; 09-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Old 09-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

So the guy is saying it cranks but has no spark. He put in a brand new complete harness cdi box plug. My friend is saying it could be a magneto issue in the engine but the guy is saying its a stator issue.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #7

used atv

the turning over has nothing to do with cdi... the battery & starter turn it over... if there is no spark and you checked the cdi kill wire for ground it ( put test light on battetry power turn key on )… and it is not doing that then you have to check the pickup and the stator for working... see youtube for that... you just check 2 wires from the stator pick up... the red? black... and the blue./ white for ohms and AC voltage... simple if you watch the youtube video.. the rest of the atv is worth what youthink it is... most of the time the bead is leaking on the rims to the tire... at the worst of it... out tubes in.. if you like it ,.,, buy it... parts are cheap... people need to see youtube for ..HOW TO CHECK STATOR FOR SPARK... SIMPLE FAST... then you can go to CDI if that checks out,,.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
So the guy is saying it cranks but has no spark. He put in a brand new complete harness cdi box plug. My friend is saying it could be a magneto issue in the engine but the guy is saying its a stator issue.
Neither a big deal if you can watch YT and turn a wrench.... see FLB reply below...also, the magneto is generally a part of the stator, if I recall correctly. So they'd be saying the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
the turning over has nothing to do with cdi... the battery & starter turn it over... if there is no spark and you checked the cdi kill wire for ground it ( put test light on battetry power turn key on )… and it is not doing that then you have to check the pickup and the stator for working... see youtube for that... you just check 2 wires from the stator pick up... the red? black... and the blue./ white for ohms and AC voltage... simple if you watch the youtube video.. the rest of the atv is worth what youthink it is... most of the time the bead is leaking on the rims to the tire... at the worst of it... out tubes in.. if you like it ,.,, buy it... parts are cheap... people need to see youtube for ..HOW TO CHECK STATOR FOR SPARK... SIMPLE FAST... then you can go to CDI if that checks out,,.
Agreed.. parts are so inexpensive and easily attained, I bet a complete stator could be sourced and installed for under $20. Those rear tires might bead up and seal, inflate the front and go through the usual checks before riding.. put it in service and go.

A 250 for $250 that ends up running and is rideable is a good deal in my book. A 250 is a big upgrade in terms of power from the usual 110, 125, 150cc engines most of us are used to.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #9

trying to find plastics for this is going to be hard

Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
trying to find plastics for this is going to be hard
Vmc maybe? They have a whole slew of them... Something there may fit.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #11

The stators are very cheap and easy to install once you’ve sourced the correct part. Just make sure you have the little “stator puller” tool that you need to take the old one off.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 AM   #12

While it could be a stator problem, it is unlikely. It is far more likely to be an issue with the starter circuit, since it is routed through both brakes. I've deleted the brake safety switches in the past, since I'd rather have the reliability. Take the time to go through the harness and ensure that there are no breaks in the wiring.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer