Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
Thanks for the input. My air pressure is good. I'm working today but if I get a chance, I will check the rear wheel balance and then go from there with the other items on your list as needed. Hopefully I can get this problem solved soon.
What I haven't seen mentioned is bead seating of the tires, both front & rear.

Easily checked with each wheel in turn up off the ground and spun while watching the sides of the tread to see if the tire is running concentric, the beads properly seated in the rims.

A wheel/tire assembly can be in balance with the tire not properly seated, which moves a bit from side to side, inducing a wobble in the forks.

If one or both don't run true, just deflate, lube (soapy water) and inflate to seat, then reinspect.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Good point, Jay. Many tires have a line around the rim indicating proper seating. Not home to check the RX3, but that has saved me a few bad mounts over the years.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
What I haven't seen mentioned is bead seating of the tires, both front & rear.

Easily checked with each wheel in turn up off the ground and spun while watching the sides of the tread to see if the tire is running concentric, the beads properly seated in the rims.

A wheel/tire assembly can be in balance with the tire not properly seated, which moves a bit from side to side, inducing a wobble in the forks.

If one or both don't run true, just deflate, lube (soapy water) and inflate to seat, then reinspect.

Good luck.
Jay,
You might be onto something with this. I put the bike up on the center stand and sat in front of the bike. I closed one eye and spun the front tire while focusing on a spot on the ground at the edge of the tire. As the tire spun, the space between the spot and the tire increased, then decreased to the point where the spot was covered, then it showed up again and the gap increased back to where it started, and this repeated as the wheel completed more revolutions. It wasn’t a huge change, but I was able to note something.

Sometime between tonight and tomorrow, I should get a chance to try to reseat this thing. Hopefully this will solve my issue.

BTW, is your signature a reference to that James Garner movie Support Your Local Sheriff?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I tried this - I removed my front wheel, deflated the tire, broke the bead, wiped the whole thing down with soapy water (doing my best to lube up the tire all the way to the edge that would be in the wheel). Aired it back up and that didn't seem to help. However, when spinning the wheel, I used the pointed truing rod that came with the stand and it appears that the wheel is not true (I am now assuming this is what was causing my tire to move laterally while it was spinning).

Any idea if this could be my issue? It's not off by a lot but it is off. I need to get my hands on a spoke wrench I guess?

Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Quote:
I tried this - I removed my front wheel, deflated the tire, broke the bead, wiped the whole thing down with soapy water (doing my best to lube up the tire all the way to the edge that would be in the wheel). Aired it back up and that didn't seem to help. However, when spinning the wheel, I used the pointed truing rod that came with the stand and it appears that the wheel is not true (I am now assuming this is what was causing my tire to move laterally while it was spinning).

Any idea if this could be my issue? It's not off by a lot but it is off. I need to get my hands on a spoke wrench I guess?

Very possible. Is your bike still under warranty? Talk with the guys at CSC. If you're comfortable truing a wheel have a go at it.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Very possible. Is your bike still under warranty? Talk with the guys at CSC. If you're comfortable truing a wheel have a go at it.
Yeah, I have only had the bike a few weeks. I will call them tomorrow. Hopefully they can shed some light on this issue.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #7

Also next time your riding it and get it to wobble, lean your upper body forward towards handle bars. Mine does it sometimes on trips when my load distribution makes the front end light. By leaning forward it stops the wobble right now by getting more weight on the front wheel. rj

Old 09-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Haven't posted on this for a few days - had a lot going on. So I spoke with CSC and they were very helpful. It looks like I have a bent spoke as well as several loose spokes on the wheel. I'm going to ship the wheel to CSC for them to fix and they will send it back. Hopefully this fixes my issue.

The folks at CSC were extremely helpful and very pleasant to deal with. So overall I'm happy to be getting to the bottom of this and happy for CSC's support in getting this fixed at no cost to me. The downside is that the riding season here in Montana is rapidly coming to a close and it kind of sucks being without my new RX3 for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, I'm getting new rubber mounted on my VStar as we speak so I will have something to ride in the meantime...

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Haven't posted on this for a few days - had a lot going on. So I spoke with CSC and they were very helpful. It looks like I have a bent spoke as well as several loose spokes on the wheel. I'm going to ship the wheel to CSC for them to fix and they will send it back. Hopefully this fixes my issue.

The folks at CSC were extremely helpful and very pleasant to deal with. So overall I'm happy to be getting to the bottom of this and happy for CSC's support in getting this fixed at no cost to me. The downside is that the riding season here in Montana is rapidly coming to a close and it kind of sucks being without my new RX3 for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, I'm getting new rubber mounted on my VStar as we speak so I will have something to ride in the meantime...

Nothing like having a few bikes around. I have eight. One for each day of the week and a wild card.