Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Wannabe Rider From NC

Hi. I currently have a Yamaha 2-stroke moped that I have ridden around for a few hundred miles on mostly gravel and tame fields (only experience I have thus far but I am enjoying it), and as you can imagine it is a little unpleasant at times. So I am in the market for a dual sport motorcycle that can be registered in NC. The hawk from q9 powersorts looks appealing, however the complaints from bbb often have issues with warranty claims. Plus the hawk seems to be rather difficult to register in nc. However the CSC tt250 brags about 50 state legality, some upgraded parts, and a promising warranty, but has no presence on bbb (unless Tulsa, OK is also Azusa, CA) and costs a lot more money. Should I gamble and find a used jap bike that may or may not have been abused or get a new chinese bike that may or may not take my abuse?

Thank you in advance anyone who responds.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #2

what are you going to use the hawk for and how hard do you intend to ride it? they won't take a huge amount of pounding and not have issues. but if you're just a gravel road or light dirt trail rider, then it'd be good.

I'm in Mooresville and had trouble registering mine. those in more remote places of NC did not have the problems I had.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #3

I plan on using it to get to work (about 1.5 mi, 25% paved 75% gravel) and use it some at work (this is basically starting and running for a few minutes to get somewhere possibly with tools and shut down with about an hour in between starts, my moped odometer says this is 150 miles a month). I will most definitely be riding on the local trails, to summarize most likely a 80% off-road 20% road bike with multiple starts per workday. But I also have a reliable car, I really just want it to save wear and tear on my car and to have some fun on the trails where I live.

I think I read about your issues with registration, but other than that how many issues have you had with your bike?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

I would get the csc tt250.. it's so worth the $$ and you have zero register issue. . Comes ready to go with gas in it even

Old 07-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

Look at getting the Storm as it's easier to register. Hawk would work for you, but registration is 50/50.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Welcome, Zippo!
The most important thing about China bike ownership is a sense of humour. If you like to wrench on your ride, a China bike could be right for you. If you like to take your stuff to a shop, you're better off with Japanese.
Also, I highly encourage the MSF course.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

The low up-front cost of a China dual sport makes it hard to pass up, it's such a good deal. However, save some extra $$$ for the necessary upgrades and plan on spending time working on the bike to ensure that it will be a reliable rider for the foreseeable future.

I spent more on a used 1990 Yamaha YZ250 back when I was in high school in the mid 90s than I did on my brand new Hawk 250. The Yamaha of course was a solid, powerful, race-worthy 2-stroke dirt bike, but it wasn't without its share of issues here and there. If you invest in a Hawk, plan on spending some time on upgrading and tweaking things (namely the sprockets and re-jetting the carb because the engine runs too lean on it). The TT250 is more ride-ready out-of-the-box, but it will also need some upgrades to get it running optimally. The CSC TT250 also costs almost $1k more than the Hawk 250.

There are only a few States that won't register the Hawk on the road - CA and NJ are two of them. I had no issues registering mine in NYS. There's an entire thread dedicated to Hawk registration, listing out what you'll need to bring to the DMV to register it...

http://www.chinariders.raptorrefuge....ad.php?t=17919

Per that thread, it looks like people have successfully registered Haosen Hawk 250's in NC.
1. Mikuni VM26 Carburetor w/#115 main jet
2. 17T/45T JT sprockets
3. JT 428 X-ring chain
4. Air box mod
5. Hawk Digital Cluster
6. Aftermarket IMS shift lever
7. Performance Aftermarket Exhaust
8. 295mm Nitrogen Gas Monoshock, 20W oil front forks

Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah what ChrisWNY said! I’ve heard that you can run a Hawk 250 out of the crate with a few minor tweaks, but it really comes alive when you mod it out! There is a lot you can do to the Hawk, just look around this forum. Every time I think I’m done, somebody like JerryHawk250 or MegaDan comes up with some cool mod...and I go further down the rabbit hole!

Good luck and keep us posted!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Tags
hawk, new rider, tt250