Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
With carbs, it was an easy work around. With EFI, not so much.
You can go the Kayo way …

Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #137

Ah, but then: the carburated RX3 sold here is -also- rated 25hp, versus similar equiped bikes (all carburated); the "old" Megellis (27hp), not in production anymore, and the Guerrero GRF250 (5 gear, carb, unofficially rated 30hp) http://www.tuguerrero.com.ar/product...f-250-off-road

Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #138

NzBL, DHL contact with info came in today. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
I did quite a bit of tuning on Delphi systems a few years back.

After it warms up-t he bike will usually go into "Closed loop" at a moderate throttle opening and RPM- this is where it looks at the O2 sensor and decides if it needs to add or subtract fuel. It makes the adjustments (quite quickly).

The way it does it is by changing a multiplier - this "new adjustment" value is then applied across the *ENTIRE* map, so now even when you whack the throttle and leave the "Closed Loop" area your fueling has been adjusted- thus it is running as it should in open loop.

The problem with EPA certified tunes is that they usually have a nice dead spot where you don't want it. Most tuners take this out and the owner is much happier.

The LXR EFI is off-road only so it has no dead spot- it's tuned on the rich side; especially at high throttle openings.

So *theoretically* it should work fine on the RX3, but it may have more room for improvement at the hands of a good tuner. IMHO it's not enough extra juice to spend much time or $$ on.
Same stuff my tuner has been saying. He knows his stuff!

In the U. S. of A. that "dead spot" is usually right at the point you will be gently cruising along in traffic, then get a chance to nail the throttle, and BLELCH! Nothing unusual to develop a lean surge right at that point where the needle just begins to open the main. With a carb, just open the idle mixture 1/4 turn and raise the needle washer one notch. All better. Of course, this assumes you've already installed the bigger main the rest of the world gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
The Harley Power Commander shoud work to remap on your mates Dyno! SHOULD I say.
Harley runs Delphi made in Mexico and it does have a different connector but if you or anyone around is smart you just make a jumper connector etc and then you can communicate with the ECU.
Same thing my dyno man said. When he gets done with mine he will have everything necessary to do everyone else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Didnt CHONDA basically prove the conversion will be sound for the rx3 as well with his mad scientist skills on his zong engine?
Chonda has been one source of info on this project I've noticed.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #139

I wish someone around Volcano had a dyno that I could take both bikes when I'm done and get comparison numbers. Hell....I wish someone around Volcano had beer closer than a half hour drive. What am I thinking?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Ah, but then: the carburated RX3 sold here is -also- rated 25hp, versus similar equiped bikes (all carburated); the "old" Megellis (27hp), not in production anymore, and the Guerrero GRF250 (5 gear, carb, unofficially rated 30hp) http://www.tuguerrero.com.ar/product...f-250-off-road

the EFI is very basic tho - no O2 sensor? not many sensors? so a sprayed carburetor like device with easier adjustments so it seems?

Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #141

I see the 02 sensor attached to the wire harness, see picture in post #131

Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #142

Not sure I understand your question...

The LXR Kayo (Rojo) EFI does use a high quality O2 probe for feedback, as does the RX3's Delphi EFI.

Any chance you could get us a better price on the Rojo style EFI kits?

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
Not sure I understand your question...

The LXR Kayo (Rojo) EFI does use a high quality O2 probe for feedback, as does the RX3's Delphi EFI.

Any chance you could get us a better price on the Rojo style EFI kits?

Thanks!

I couldn't even figure out what the cost was! It di not seem to list a complete set and I found there to be 2 options on wiring loom dependent on which version of CDI being used.
I do know a company making CDi and they can or do adjust the ignition curve I am pretty sure, so that system could COULD be fairly easily tuned and adjusted MAYBE with R & D where as the Delphi would need expesive gear to tune and adjust the ECU map and or ignition curve.

I could be wrong - do let me know what your thoughts are or better yet some facts as I just spouted my thoughts based on a little bit of knowledge only.

I am thinking to try and buy a cheaper RX3 and develop a bit more these upgrades in China BEFORE exporting etc, complex I am sure but would then hopefully give a better product that has been tested better before selling

Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
NzBL, DHL contact with info came in today. Thanks.

Same stuff my tuner has been saying. He knows his stuff!

In the U. S. of A. that "dead spot" is usually right at the point you will be gently cruising along in traffic, then get a chance to nail the throttle, and BLELCH! Nothing unusual to develop a lean surge right at that point where the needle just begins to open the main. With a carb, just open the idle mixture 1/4 turn and raise the needle washer one notch. All better. Of course, this assumes you've already installed the bigger main the rest of the world gets.

Same thing my dyno man said. When he gets done with mine he will have everything necessary to do everyone else's.

Chonda has been one source of info on this project I've noticed.

I believe either Elvis or Santa has been to your door and left you a nice box of bits

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 07-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #145

Got it put back together today. I don't have any green stuff in the garage, just dex-cool.
Operation went without a hitch. If it doesn't grenade when it fires, I'm in the clear.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #146

My R&D bike for testing

Testing testing and Mods etc for Export!

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 07-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #147

300cc kit arrived midweek, got home late last night and picked up the kit this morning. Outer box was pretty smashed, inner box and parts not a mark. Good packing saved the day!

Looks like hood and base gaskets come with the kit. NZ tossed in what looks like all the pieces to do a complete top end overhaul, and then some. Not yet tweeked a RX3 so don't recognize all the bits, but looks like a very nice package has been put together for us. Thanks NZ!

Bit of vacation due 31 May so while do the install then and report back after break-in runs.

Thinking about nabbing another RX3 and measuring for stroker potential. Lets get some 300s on the road and see how the rest of the driveline holds up. No sense investing in stroke if the other parts won't hold up. Also might have a line on hotter cams.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #148

I'm glad it went together without a hitch. My neighbor came over because he's always curious about my wrenching and wanted to lend a hand. Then one more neighbor made the walk.

I just had eye surgery on both eyes, my neighbor is seriously near sighted but has one eye that works real good up close, and the other neighbor just had eye cancer in one eye so it's blind and was far-sighted out of the other. It was like the Three-Freaking-Blind Mice trying to assemble an RX3. Between the three of us, we figured we had two good eyes. Fortunately it fired right up and no leaks.

First impressions:
Of course after having the battery disconnected, it was "special needs" for the first few miles. It was popping out the tail pipe when I'd just roll the throttle back on, then as the miles went down and the ecm got used to the new environment, that went away.
I wasn't pushing it because the rings needed to seat but I can tell right away it had a little more grunt down low and in mid-range. I'm looking forward to getting a couple hundred behind me and see how it's improved.

Did it go from a mild mannered RX3 to ripping my shoulders out of the sockets? No. All Gixxers in the area can breathe a sigh of relief.

The bike really didn't "feel" that much different but where I did notice a definite difference is in the speedo. I'd go through the gears as I always do and when I looked down, I was going faster than before by at least 5 mph and it was sustaining the higher cruise speeds with more ease.

EDIT: Here's a pic. I ended up shooting the cylinder, head and rocker box in high temp black prior to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0726.jpg (57.7 KB, 320 views)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #149

The "Three-Freaking-Blind Mice trying to assemble an RX3." had me spitting my coffee. lol It sounds like it gave you what you were looking for.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #150

2LZ, a question for you that I've always wondered about. I'm basically a 2 stroke guy from the 70's and haven't fiddled much w 4 strokes.
Question is when you take top end apart how do you know when putting it back together to get the cam chain timed correctly so valves are not opening at wrong time? Are there marks on chain and cam? What about where it goes on crankshaft end? thanks rj