Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin_with_CJ View Post
oooo that sounds so much either than take the whole carb apart again!!! lol
Easier by far!
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #782

Quote:
ok so i got it started. I have some experience with engines, but no not a whole lot. I cant get the idle down lower though, its either so high something starts to rattle or its to high without rattle. i know that seems a little confusing. in videos ive seen from motocheez it seems very quite, is that just the video?
There is an idle speed screw on the other side of the carburetor. Opposite of the side you showed in the video. I couldn't hear anything wrong with the engine. Do you know how long these bikes have been sitting? If they have sat for a while and the previous owner had been using ethanol gas, that could be your starting problem right there. In a humid enviorment, ethanol gas seperatesout the alcohol, which then absorbs lots of moisture. Especially where you live, you would be wise to only use non-ethanol gas. Look around for a station that sells it. Most boat marinas that sell gas have it too...ARH

Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #783

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
There is an idle speed screw on the other side of the carburetor. Opposite of the side you showed in the video. I couldn't hear anything wrong with the engine. Do you know how long these bikes have been sitting? If they have sat for a while and the previous owner had been using ethanol gas, that could be your starting problem right there. In a humid enviorment, ethanol gas seperatesout the alcohol, which then absorbs lots of moisture. Especially where you live, you would be wise to only use non-ethanol gas. Look around for a station that sells it. Most boat marinas that sell gas have it too...ARH
The blue one, the one in the video sat for about 3 months the guy told me, the red one about a year. I got the blue started after 100 kicks (maybe no that many). It ran, got it to the end of the street and one lap around the house, but very boggy at a light twist, could that be the 20 jet? why is this so hard to kick start. fully charged battery and the button wont fire it. It beig boggy is what cut it off again.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #784

Do you mean where the screwdriver is pointing ARH?

*edit* so i was out looking at it, is it the screw at the bottom with blue on it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0397.jpg (81.8 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by Cruisin_with_CJ; 06-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #785

Quote:
The blue one, the one in the video sat for about 3 months the guy told me, the red one about a year. I got the blue started after 100 kicks (maybe no that many). It ran, got it to the end of the street and one lap around the house, but very boggy at a light twist, could that be the 20 jet? why is this so hard to kick start. fully charged battery and the button wont fire it. It beig boggy is what cut it off again.
There could be ethanol goo in the float bowl and the jets. Do both bikes have the same make of carburetor? What is it? Then maybe I can help you more, but I mostly know about Amals, Bings, DelOrto's and Mikuni's...ARH

Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #786

Quote:
Do you mean where the screwdriver is pointing ARH?

*edit* so i was out looking at it, is it the screw at the bottom with blue on it?
It definatly is not the one on the bottom. Try turning the one the screw driver is pointing at, but be gentle. Turn it to the left with the engine running. You'll know immediatly if it is the correct screw. Make sure the throttle cable is running free and easy with no tight bends in it. That can also cause a high idle. The way I do it is I take the air intake hose off, and then watch to see if the throttle slide goes all the way up, and drops like a guillitine when you let go of the throttle. ...ARH

Old 06-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #787

Quote:
It definatly is not the one on the bottom. Try turning the one the screw driver is pointing at, but be gentle. Turn it to the left with the engine running. You'll know immediatly if it is the correct screw. Make sure the throttle cable is running free and easy with no tight bends in it. That can also cause a high idle. The way I do it is I take the air intake hose off, and then watch to see if the throttle slide goes all the way up, and drops like a guillitine when you let go of the throttle. ...ARH
The blue one I am working on has a brand new carb, The Mikuni vm26 30mm. I used the link provided by hawk250.com to buy it. It has the stock 20 and I replaced the 100 jet with a 115.

The red has the stock replacement carb that can be taken apart without grinding on it, but I'll worry about that one later.

I almost have the blue one going, I Just have to find that idle adjustment. I wondering if the 20 needs to go to a 30 though.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #788

Quote:
The blue one I am working on has a brand new carb, The Mikuni vm26 30mm. I used the link provided by hawk250.com to buy it. It has the stock 20 and I replaced the 100 jet with a 115.

The red has the stock replacement carb that can be taken apart without grinding on it, but I'll worry about that one later.

I almost have the blue one going, I Just have to find that idle adjustment. I wondering if the 20 needs to go to a 30 though.
A 20 is not far enough out to cause your problems. Is the Idle MIXTURE screw out about 1 1/2 turns. Where is the needle? Now if that bike was running on ethanol gas and sat for a while, and the main jet is clean, the main jet screws into the needle jet. Possible the needle jet could be partially plugged. Ethanol gas can be vicious stuff. There are many thousands of ruined lawn mowers, riding mowers and outboard motors that were run on that stuff. It won't bother a car because it gets driven all of the time. So fresh gas. Motorcycles tend to get ridden like for a weekend, and then set for awile. That's why I recommend non ethanol gas for them, also for your lawn tractor, if you've got one of those. ...ARH

Old 06-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #789

Quote:
A 20 is not far enough out to cause your problems. Is the Idle MIXTURE screw out about 1 1/2 turns. Where is the needle? Now if that bike was running on ethanol gas and sat for a while, and the main jet is clean, the main jet screws into the needle jet. Possible the needle jet could be partially plugged. Ethanol gas can be vicious stuff. There are many thousands of ruined lawn mowers, riding mowers and outboard motors that were run on that stuff. It won't bother a car because it gets driven all of the time. So fresh gas. Motorcycles tend to get ridden like for a weekend, and then set for awile. That's why I recommend non ethanol gas for them, also for your lawn tractor, if you've got one of those. ...ARH
That's what I'm saying, the carb is so new there is no way the gas has hummed it up yet. I'm at such a loss, I'll pull the carb a part and take pictures later...

Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
The idle adjustment screw is the phillips head screw on the right side of the carburetor.
OK, which idle adjusment screw is on the right side of the carburetor. There are two. One controls idle mixture. The other controls idle speed....ARH

Old 06-04-2017, 04:52 PM   #791

Quote:
The idle adjustment screw is the phillips head screw on the right side of the carburetor.
Best pictures I can take, where is air and which is idle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0402.jpg (91.9 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0401.jpg (84.5 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0399.jpg (79.4 KB, 213 views)

Old 06-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #792

Quote:
The one that moves the slide up or down.
OK thanks.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #793

Quote:
Middle picture above were it has Japan T/A on the carburetor is the idle the air is at the front of the float bowl between the engine and the carburetor. The blue screw in one of the pictures is the bowl drain screw at the bottom.
That is what I was thinking. Thank you for that. I rode it over to my GF's mom house cause they have more tools. I didn't read this while I was there sadly, I couldn't get it back on and had to leave it. I'll try messing with the idle tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #794

So just wondering, if that is the idle screw, how do I get to it while it's mounted on the bike? Could someone take a picture of theirs so I can see about where the setting should be, or maybe you might remember what your is??and what is your air at 2 1/2 out from all they way in?

I don't think I've ever been this frustrated :(

Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 PM   #795

Quote:
So just wondering, if that is the idle screw, how do I get to it while it's mounted on the bike? Could someone take a picture of theirs so I can see about where the setting should be, or maybe you might remember what your is??and what is your air at 2 1/2 out from all they way in?

I don't think I've ever been this frustrated :(
Well, I said 1 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture adjustment screw. 2 1/2 is almost to where the screw will fall out. The idle speed screw will only reduce engine speed if the throttle cable isn' too tight. To help your memory a little, the idle mixture screw controls the fuel mixture only at, and just above, idle. The pilot jet controls mixture from just above idle to 1/4 throttle. After 1/4 throttle the needle adds to the amount of gas supplied by the pilot jet. From 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, the needle is richening the mixture, with the help of the pilot jet. From 3/4 throttle to wide open, the mixture is almost totally controlled by the main jet, the pilot jet adds a little fuel. So, once you learn where 1/4 throttle is, if the engine runs bad in this range, it's the pilot jet. If it runs ok down low, but gives trouble above 1/4 throttle, the problem is either the needle position or the main jet. If it pulls good at anywhere above 3/4 throttle, the problem is not the main jet, it is the needle position. The needle clip should be in the middle slot on the upper part of the needle. This is the basic way to set up a carburetor. If it is set like this, and still runs lousy, it is either a problem in the carburetor OR THE VALVES ARE SET TOO TIGHT. .002 on the intake, and .003 (inch) on the exhaust is the spec. If the previous owner never set the valves, this could be the root of your problem...ARH