Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #1

New based in NYC

TLDR: Based in NYC, lokking to get a Boom/Vader/Venom X20 or x21 125cc.

Hi everyone, happy to be here. A quick intro..

Always wanted to get into riding and will finally be pulling the trigger on buying a bike in a week or two, a Boom/Vader/Venom X20 or x21, Grom clone. It was actually this week that I even came to consider, let alone know that there is such a variety of Chinese bikes in the US. I've gone through the years thinking about which bike I would get if I were to buy one..

The dream growing up in Argentina was a Ninja, so when I seriously started looking for a bike, that's where I started. The 250 and the 300 when it came out, were always tempting but the price points were out of my budget so I started looking at smaller bikes. Naturally, I came to the Honda Grom, but for the price it didn't make sense, at least to me, since saving up a bit more could get me the Ninja.

My next option was looking for used bikes and I that's when got sucked into the Honda CB build cafe racer genre. Still would love to do a cafe build but that would be better for when I have more experience and budget. I thought I should just get this idea out of my head and that's when looking at youtube vids, I came across the motorcycle.com vid "battle of the 125cc ankle biters"
and got my hopes up again, seeing that cheaper brand new Chinese bikes are readily available and don't believe the stigma that Chinese made is always bad. So, I did some more digging and came across the Vader 125cc and ultimately found this forum. Googling around some more I found the Vader for $1,200, on Neweggflash, a deals site for online retailer Newegg, which I didn't even know existed or that they sold bikes. I was ready to buy when a last minute search brought me to Venom Motorsports and had more questions so I decided to hold off.

And that's where I'm at now. Read a lot about Venom Motorsport and was actually able to somewhat attest to the customer service. Moose, from Venom (how Canadian right?), gave me a call when I inquired about the difference between the 2017 Venom x20 and the 2017 Venom x21. He explained that it is only cosmetic differences.. the x20 is really the Vader Grom clone and the x21 is "Ducati" style, kinda like a SSR Razkull. The x21 does supposedly spec 13" wheels opposed to the 12" for the Vader, other than that, mechanically the same. I also, asked about the 75MPH top speed and he touted the CDI chip that differentiates the x20 and x21 from the Vader, but the Vader also has a CDI and its top speed is listed at 55MPH.

So, I'm here to hopefully pick some of your brains and get some tips/suggestions not only on a bike but mods, riding, gear, etc.. I hope to contribute finally on a forum rather than leach off the info on here. This will be the first of many posts I hope (really, this my first post in a forum of any kind). I apologize in advance if I'm not versed yet in forum etiquette and if someone could suggest where to take this conversation or point me to a thread this topic is more suitable. Thanks.

Well, so much for the quick intro..

Last edited by aalma006; 03-29-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typos

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #2

Welcome!

http://www.icebearatv.com/Motorcycle

This is the non-Vader bike they sell...it is an Ice Bear branded bike. Ice Bear move a lot of low cost product (i.e. basic 50cc scooters), and some of their stuff is not so low-cost (i.e. their 300cc trike). They have pushed the boundaries as far as design, such as their cult-classic Maddog which is designed as a clone of a customized Honda Ruckus. They came out with the Fuerza which was a clone of a customized Grom, but then offered the more basic-looking Little Monster which resembles the SSR Razkull. I am guessing it is better set up than the Vader out of the box meaning you won't have to re-engineer as much stuff as our Vader owners seem to have to do. But the Vader crowd is large, and most have sorted out their issues with help from others. I am guessing you are familiar with Maxipadmoto and his youtube channel. He is the defacto Vader guru.

Speaking of Ninjas--the 125 full-size bike Venom sells, the X22, uses the same engine as the Vader but is a full-size bike. Could be a compromise for the Ninja and the Vader/Little Monster.

If I had my choice out of Venom's lineup, I would pick the Ice Bear just to be different

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #3

Hold on, I might be wrong...

This retailer sells both versions of Ice Bear's mini http://www.kronikracing.com/Street_c_8-1-2.html

However, they also sell Boom International minis (the Vader manufacturer) and they list a 'Boom Lil Duc' which looks just like the ICe Bear. My guess is Venom only deals with Boom for their Vader and the one I thought was an Ice Bear. I still like the look of it over the standard Vader... http://www.kronikracing.com/Street_c_8-2-2.html

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 03-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Welcome!

http://www.icebearatv.com/Motorcycle

This is the non-Vader bike they sell...it is an Ice Bear branded bike. Ice Bear move a lot of low cost product (i.e. basic 50cc scooters), and some of their stuff is not so low-cost (i.e. their 300cc trike). They have pushed the boundaries as far as design, such as their cult-classic Maddog which is designed as a clone of a customized Honda Ruckus. They came out with the Fuerza which was a clone of a customized Grom, but then offered the more basic-looking Little Monster which resembles the SSR Razkull. I am guessing it is better set up than the Vader out of the box meaning you won't have to re-engineer as much stuff as our Vader owners seem to have to do. But the Vader crowd is large, and most have sorted out their issues with help from others. I am guessing you are familiar with Maxipadmoto and his youtube channel. He is the defacto Vader guru.

Speaking of Ninjas--the 125 full-size bike Venom sells, the X22, uses the same engine as the Vader but is a full-size bike. Could be a compromise for the Ninja and the Vader/Little Monster.

If I had my choice out of Venom's lineup, I would pick the Ice Bear just to be different
Wow, that was a quick reply, thanks!

Yes, I looked at the Ice Bear fuerza and definitely like some of the details that come on it stock but the closer $2,000 price point ($1,700 on the links you gave) turn me to the vader. I don't mind tinkering and figuring things out and I do see, like you said, the larger crowd and support for the Vader. I did come across Maxipadmoto on youtube and on some threads around here, good stuff.

The ninja clone is tempting but to be picky, I'd rather get the original 250-300 for the look w/ the power. It isn't for me all about the "look" and I guess that's where I don't want to compromise. That's where the Vader for the price, I can make my own and shift from the Grom look.

Also, the Vader has a seat for a one more.. don't really plan on pooling people around but its nice to have the option stock.. I'm sure I'll be getting asked for rides in NYC when the subway is running late or Uber has surge pricing! Hell, maybe I'll start Uber Motorcycle

Old 03-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #5

Kronik Racing is a reputable dealer who mainly set up racing pitbikes--I would consider the Little Monster from them over the Vader. The little issues with the Vader which would probably be found on the Boom Lil Duc that add up would have me consider it. One member had a bad experience with his two Vaders. It took forever to get them from ASPCUSA; he ordered them a few weeks before Christmas (when he wanted them by) and did not get them until early January. He is trying to send both back and get a refund and sacrifice the money he spent on his registration. He is the exception, as others have worked through their problems. But, for me, someone who is not a mechanic by any means, but can figure things out, would sometimes rather just buy the one that needs less work. Hence paying extra. I would even look around for the SSR...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150