Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #1

Garage Door Torsion Springs

The other week Pops garage door would open maybe a foot and stop... it would pretend to start to close and go right back to the same spot it originally opened and stopped at (about a foot off the ground)...

The "Red" spring was broken in two... "Black" spring was sagging like crazy...

Well sh... pooop... was the first thing that came to mind. I remember seeing the bill when it was replaced last time (over $400 )...

So I do what I always do, went online and ordered the parts myself and did the yob for him... total cost, $75 and some change for everything, both springs and tools and complete the job

Ordered from "MC Overhead Door Parts" http://www.mcoverheaddoorparts.com/

Canadian and US materials for the Torsion Spring and whatnot (China stamped everywhere on the old Torsion Springs), decent shipping speed (was ~$20 to ship the order), good warranty and customer service from what I've heard... and so far I have no complaints... well maybe 1...

The new springs compared to the old ones are too strong , I had to do a few adjustments to the Chamberlain 3/4 to make the door work right with the new springs on and properly installed (previous guy only had the springs at 30 "1/4 turns"... the garage door size needs 31 "1/4 turns" according to the book)

Mom and Pops are happy... and I'm happy too... we had some nice days (40 - 50+ degree temps) and I missed out on riding the bikes, oh well, all is fixed now and it didn't cost much at all... only a hours worth of work too

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Great job! I've done those twice before and I always felt I needed to dress like a knight getting ready for a jousting match, with a double face shield. Had one of the winding tools fling out once and zing across the garage. Freaks a guy out..........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #3

It's people like you who are ruining this country. You're supposed to spend money on having someone else do stuff like this, it's what our economy needs. Stop being so damn selfish you tightwad, throw money at your problems like a normal person!

I've actually been told similar but in a serious way. I assume it was his way of countering the fact that DIY everything and he can barely manage to tighten a loose screw successfully, but who knows. The statement does have some merit, but I don't care and will continue with my evil economy destroying ways.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #4

And good job making the different parts work.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
It's people like you who are ruining this country.
I know, "Jack of all trades, master of none" is a hell of title to live with

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

I had similar problem with mine. ordered replacements which ended up being too strong. I had to use the old broken spring on one side and one of the new stronger springs on the other. worked fine.

glad you got it figured out!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #7

Most garage door openers have several adjustment points, I too am glad that reading the Chamberlain owners manual (whaaaaa?!?!?) worked in my 'situation'

Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #8

As someone who did garage doors for 14 yrs, if you can muscle the door up, swap them with it up... put a half a turn of tension on them and let her rip! LOL

Old 01-04-2017, 10:19 PM   #9

I see your garage door opener with 4 commercial tread walking /drive belt replacements and call ( 9pm and in bed)

Keep posting az... it's been a while since we've heard from you
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #10

did the garage door springs thingy a couple of years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I know, "Jack of all trades, master of none" is a hell of title to live with
"Masters in Backwoods Engineering"...that's what we called it in Mississippi....where's the baling wire and duck (sic...) tape!!!

If I can figure it out...I just can't bring myself to pay for it to be done.
BillR

Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
As someone who did garage doors for 14 yrs, if you can muscle the door up, swap them with it up... put a half a turn of tension on them and let her rip! LOL
Wish I knew/thought of that when I did it...

Old 01-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR View Post
"Masters in Backwoods Engineering"
I like it.

For some reason the first thing that popped to mind is moonshiners, but I do that engineering at the stove since I have no backwoods.