Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #1

Jeep is gone .

I listed my Jeep for sale last week after I figured out my boots and the clutch pedal didn't really get along ,then within a few minutes I was getting offers on it .My kids are no longer in school ,so I did not know that the school kids had last week off ,and pretty sure most of the bunch were just high school kids thinking a jeep is cool ,even better with a Plow on it .
Anyways ,I took down the add ,and re listed it yesterday ,and had 4 real offers before lunch .We are having a big snow storm today ,so I drove it the 1.5 hrs down the road to its new owner .This fellow has it made .About 30 years old ,very pretty girlfriend who is a nurse ,beautiful log home ,completely off grid .Turns out he designs ,sells and installs off grid systems for a living .He is a Toyota fan ,and usually they don't get along with us much smarter and better looking Jeep guys ,but has come around after he was doing an install last week and had his Toyota completely buried and a jeep pulled him out and got him to the worksite ,while the Toyota sat and watched with crocodile tears in its headlights .
Anyways ,I will have another this week .

Old 01-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Congrats! I hope you got top dollar for it! I sold (or rather, my wife sold for me) my '95 Cherokee Sport a few months back. The wrist pins in the big 4.0 engine were starting to make an awful racket, and I didn't feel like tearing the engine down to re-work it. The Jeepster had the big tires, smittybuilt bumpers front and rear, and a 12,000lb winch on the front. Assorted other mods and upgrades, too. In any event, hope you survive the cold weather!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 01-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #3

I tripled my money ,so all good in that area .

Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #4

Yeah, it's really hard to be angry about things when that happens! I've only ever been able to double my money or slightly better, never triple it. Really happy for you that it came together so neatly, and that a Jeep convert has been born. Crocodile tears in the Toyota's Headlights!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Some drivers can get anything stuck... Jeep(s) with or without a snowplow is included on that list...

Ask me how I know?

I have had some really dumb neighbors that I helped get out of the ditch snow all the way up to the windows and a dumbfounded look on the drivers faces you know the... "But I'm in my 4x4/AWD SUV/Truck/Subaru, I was told I can go anywhere and do anything" kind of look

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

You make your money on something when you purchase it .I have owned and built 100 topless jeeps ,so they are something I know and understand the issues and value of pretty well ,and I could of squeezed a few more dollars out of it if I waited for spring ,I just don't have the extra room in the driveway at my home .

Old 01-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #7

Azhule is completely correct .Because I was delivering the jeep so far down the highway ,we opted to remove the plow and stuff it in the back of the new owners truck for the ride .He did not feel confident in his ability to hook it up himself ,so I hooked it back up at his place .He immediately got in the jeep ,and got it stuck to the doors on his first pass ,because he was so excited to own his first jeep ,he completely forgot that under that snow was a 3 foot drop off to winch city .

Old 01-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Some drivers can get anything stuck.
That's a fact jack. I pulled a 4x4 Toyota PU out of a rutted muddy trail that I'd just driven through, I was in my '78 Civic. Imagine those tears. A couple hours later a cop showed up and informed me that the area I was in was off-limits, the only thing that kept him from citing me was his amazement that I got in with that car. He opened a gate for me to get out the easy way. Almost any Jeep is a better off-road tool than almost any Toyota, but the driver is going to make a huge difference with either vehicle. Some people have the knack and some don't, but having a more capable vehicle will help him as long as he doesn't raise the bar on what he tries to do with it compared to the Toyota.

Good tires and traction devices (limited slips or lockers) will transform a vehicle. I added a factory rear limited slip to a '87 wrangler and it did stuff in 2wd that would have taken 4wd. Then I switched the 33" BFG ATs for some 36" Super swamper TSL SX Bias tires and it was doing stuff in 2wd that it could barely manage in 4wd. My F-350 was kinda poor off-road even with its 37" MTRs, add in a pair of ARBs and voila. The stiff suspension with open diffs just wasn't cuttin it. My current favorite toy is a '90 Cherokee, bone stock on street tires it was pretty impressive. I did a small 'budget boost' lift, found some bilsteins for the front that would allow maximum articulation, and installed a set of 29" TSL bias and it's a mini beast off-road. People are constantly amazed at what that little grocery getter can pull off.

Since it's the baby vehicle among my group (everyone else has real lifts and 33-35" tires) I get to be the trail leader. Logic being that if I can make it the real rigs can make it so it raises their confidence to do stuff that they would have turned away from. It's made them better off-roaders because they now feel the confidence and have exercised their abilities. They're constantly giving me crap about being too cheap to build it up, and I am a cheap bastard, then I point out that we all end up at the top of the trails together.

Wow, I didn't initially plan to type anything past the word Jack. ADD is to blame. Or maybe vehicular enthusiasm is the guilty party.