Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Kymco Mongoose 90 Steering Shaft Clamp

Well, I'm not sure if Kymco is Chinese or not, but its made SOMEWHERE in Asia I'm sure LOL. If I should have posted this in Off Topic, I apologize and please move the thread. Anyway, My daughter has a 2005 Kymco Mongoose 90 , which has been a FANTASTIC machine and trouble free until now. The steering shaft is loose and wobbles around in the clamp. The clamp is tight. So I originally thought the bushing is gone. But looking online at parts break downs I don't see any bushing in the steering shaft clamp. Can anyone offer some advice on this?
Thanks

Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

Can you share the parts breakdown image with us?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Can you share the parts breakdown image with us?
http://www.epfguzzi.com/kymcobiz/service/mongoose90.pdf

Old 11-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

WOW HUMANBEING!!

Thank you so much for that link!! I saved that to my computer. The pics and listing is SO much better than the parts retailers website I was on. I still don't see a bushing in the steering stem clamp. Maybe the steering shaft is worn real bad. But it seems it started being loose all of a sudden. Or maybe my little girl didn't tell me, as she hates for Dad to have her baby down for maintenance. I'll have to disect the machine a little further. I have been SO happy with this quad. Its is a tough little critter. And the TRIPLE governors Kymco put on it, made me breath a little easier when she first got it. Now she's wanting to go faster, but I still think 15 mph is plenty fast enough.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #5

Ok, I am somewhat familiar with that design. On my quads, part #53251 (quantity of two - I call 'em clamshells) are similar to the Yamaha Blaster design, IIRC. When you remove them, you'll find grooves that will accept O-rings. The factory probably cut the o-rings for easier installation, but I went a step further.

I removed the handlebars and clamp, and stretched new O-rings over the handlebar mount, and then rolled them down to the clamshell mounts. I ensured that the parting line was on the outside of the O-rings, and then slathered them with grease. If memory serves, I used O-rings that were a little fatter than stock, to take the slop out.

I can't recall how I addressed the lower mounting point, but I think all I did was drill and tap it for a zerk while the steering shaft was out. That allows me to pump it full of grease to take up the rattle. I also used a few washers for the castle nut, since the cotter pin hole was drilled too low.

Hope that helps.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

GREAT!! Thank you for that info weldandgrind! That makes alot of sense and a simple design. I guess the orings just deteriorated and fell out. I will tear it down tomorrow morning. How did you go about finding the Oring? I guess I can take the shaft to the hardware store and try some.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
WOW HUMANBEING!!...
I'm a wack that always think outside the box. Kymco = From Taiwan > Googling "Mongoose 90" in their official language - traditional Chinese > got the interesting pdf ...

Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
GREAT!! Thank you for that info weldandgrind! That makes alot of sense and a simple design. I guess the orings just deteriorated and fell out. I will tear it down tomorrow morning. How did you go about finding the Oring? I guess I can take the shaft to the hardware store and try some.
Pop into Harbor Freight and buy an assorted o-ring kit. They're cheap and plentiful.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #9

I figured I would follow up on this thread and show the fix. Maybe this will help someone in the future. There is a split plastic sleeve that goes over the steering shaft, then the clam shells go over that. The interior of this plastic sleeves has recessed grooves from what I gather is for grease, and grease is what it got. I ordered the sleeve and 2 new clam shells (clamps) since riding without the sleeve wore the clamps some. Now Bike Bandit doesn't list parts for Kymco ATV's. SO, I just ordered the parts for a Kawasaki KFX90 which IS a Kymco Mongoose 90, and so is an Arctic Cat DVX 90. The parts break down doesn't have this sleeve shown any where around the clam shells but shows it at the top of the steering stem. Here's some pics and the link to the parts diagram. http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9027#sch441502 The Clamps are part 92171 (2 each) and the sleeve is part 42036

Last edited by letsride; 01-04-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

Interesting! So, the sleeve takes the place of the O-rings in the Yamaha design. What material is the sleeve made from? Is it rigid plastic, or more silicone-like?

Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #11

It is flexible, but rigid. I'm guessing plastic. It wasn't hard to open up and fit it around the steering shaft. It may be some kind of silicon material not quite sure. There is a lip at the top and bottom that keeps it from working its way out of the two clamps. So my guess is over time one or both of those lips deteriorated and it fell out.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #12

I'm betting that the Kawasaki parts will last a long time.