Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

They both should work just the same

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference..../DENSO_PN/5730

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2dxf View Post
You got the wrong plug. I made this mistake. You should have got the NGK DR8EIX. Here is a pic of the right one
ah that could make a difference too - the DPR8EIX is one rage colder than the DR8EIX

http://www.ngk.com.au/spark-plugs/te...ge-explanation

colder plugs work well for lean running. but are more likely to foul if running rich.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #18

I replaced the stock plugs in my '98 Honda SuperHawk with NGK iridiums. I had very low expectations but the improvement was very noticeable. I can't say it made more power, it was already a wheel standing kick in the ass, but it started quicker with less need of the choke and idled smoother. The bike was stock other than Jardine exhaust and it had been precisely dyno tuned by them.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #19

Kohburn, According to the NGK website they are the same heat range, unless I not understanding it correctly. being that they are both 8's they have the same heat range, right?

NGK:

NGK indicates the heat range in the middle of the plug number. For example, BCPR6ES-11 has a heat range of 6. (The number after the “-“ is the Gap.) NGK plugs are colder the higher the number, hotter the lower the number.

Starting with part # BKR6E-11 (Heat Range 6), a colder plug would # BKR7E-11 (Heat Range 7), a hotter plug would be # BKR5E-11 (Heat Range 5).

EXCEPTION: NGK Racing Plugs: (Any NGK plug that begins with the letter “R”)

For NGK Racing Plugs, the Heat Range is located AFTER the hyphen.

Example: R5671A-10 has a Heat Range of 10. A colder plug would be # R5671A-11 (Heat Range 11), a hotter plug would be # R5671A-9 (Heat Range 9).

Some NGK Racing Plugs are also available in half heat ranges. These are displayed as a 2 or 3 digit number after the hyphen. For example, R6120-85 has a 8.5 Heat Range and R6120-105 has a 10.5 Heat Range.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #20

As far as I know the P means projected tip, the gap is further from the body of the plug. While the projection can change heat reaction of the plug I assume they did the math so that an 8 is an 8 in either style. With no other changes projecting the tip would make a plug hotter but I'm pretty sure they change the depth to balance that back to an equivalent 8 heat.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #21

yep - forgot what I was looking at yesterday that made me think it was colder. no matter.

makes for intellectual discussion

a projected tip is probably beneficial on lower rpm and lower compression engines.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 06-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #22

All I can say is, it's been running fine in my bike for about 90 miles so far...

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

Old 06-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp View Post
All I can say is, it's been running fine in my bike for about 90 miles so far...
You bought the same plug that most of did and it works fine. I always thought the R was resistor plug though.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #24

Thumbs Up

New rider:, looks like you have some low and midrange work to do on your carb.
assuming before you pulled the plug, you had it near full throttle, the tan looks ok, but somewhere you are richer than hell. shoudn't be that much black soot- way rich, or you forgot to turn the choke off a bit lol.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Tags
hawk 250, spark plug