Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Being a Nor Cal guy, there's usually lots of snow, barring the normal drought schedule. I had a chance to ride one of my buddy's sleds a few years ago. Polaris RMK 600(?) and he was riding his Arctic Cat something-er-other. That Polaris RMK was BLISTERINGLY fast. No way I could hold it wide open for more than short spurts. It accelerated like a turbo. There was a small lag....then it would pull your arms out of the sockets. Between the cold, the elevation and mountains of clothes, it was fun but I'll take motorcycles.
I also learned that a rope pull start on a huge motor at 6000 feet was torturous.
Amen to those points.

I have never owned a sled but have had the pleasure of going with people whio did and let me use one. I've ridden in Washington and the California Sierras. I rode a 900 and a 600 and they were both STUPID fast, and I mean that in a good way. I bet either one would break the ton but the fastest I went was maybe the 70's and only for moments.

I really enjoyed it, but I live about 90 minutes from the closest snow, and dark starts about 4 PM in the winter, so to drive to sled is impractical. I'll continue to ride my bikes and bicycles and enjoy winter on them.

BTW I think I was unfair in saying a small Chinese snow machine would not be a good idea. Not everyone is out trying to tame some giant Western mountain on one and just likes to tool around a neighborhood or golf course or farm on a modest amount of fluffy or compacted snow and have fun. I would truely enjoy that also, and these Chinese sleds would do fine in that regard.

Just like we can enjoy a Chinese 200 and a Japanese 400 on trails and have fun on both.

Another consideration is do they have the alternator output to power electric grips +/- clothing. That would be a major plus also.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:23 AM   #17

When I was kid we had the old ski doo single cylinder, and my brother had a polaris colt 290cc I think. it was slow top speed wise, but had plenty of power, as did the old ski doo's.. those things were surprisingly robust for their simple design. and could handle most types of snow well.

170cc is small for sure but with the right design it could work.

certianly dont need a big engine if you dont want to go fast. and dont care for a ton of acceleration. Torque will get you through the snow just fine.