Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
I have another question about what could result from this mod.

The mod should result in faster warm-up and reduce hot/cold spots around the cylinder. And raising the crankcase oil temp will also more quickly evaporate fuel, water and contaminants, reducing the amount of fuel in the oil.

My question is this. We already collect a lot of fluid in the OCS. How do we keep the extra gases from condensing in the OCS catch tube and ensure that they are drawn up into the airbox instead?
I think the first solution is to install the OCS in the 'unofficial' position, as you have proven by valid experimentation.

As a secondary solution, I am going to replace the plug in the collection tube of the OCS with a bolt which is slightly loose. Before the collection tube of my OCS shrunk in size, it would slowly leak the collected fluid. I wish to reproduce that slow leak, so I don't have to check the tube all the time. Ron_B in Alabama has added a fuel petcock to the bottom of his collection tube.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=16492&page=4

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

Peter, Spud...

Luke said you guys nailed it with most of your recommendations. Luke thinks changing the thermo switch out is the easiest fix. He thinks because the aluminum engine is not getting hot enough, that is the cause to a lot of the issues. Especially the fuel in the oil. He says on Monday we should be doing the first 500 mile valve check and service, so he will have a better look at everything discussed here and follow up with a post.

and yes Spud, I convinced him to start his own profile!

2016 Zongshen RX3 (CSC Cyclone)

Pay it Forward!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I think the first solution is to install the OCS in the 'unofficial' position, as you have proven by valid experimentation.

As a secondary solution, I am going to replace the plug in the collection tube of the OCS with a bolt which is slightly loose. Before the collection tube of my OCS shrunk in size, it would slowly leak the collected fluid. I wish to reproduce that slow leak, so I don't have to check the tube all the time. Ron_B in Alabama has added a fuel petcock to the bottom of his collection tube.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...t=16492&page=4

The plug in my collection tube was leaking, and making a MESS on the bike, and probably on the tire. Installed a fuel petcock; problem solved.

Meanwhile, with the OCS in the new "official" orientation, the collection tube fills up on a day's ride.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
The plug in my collection tube was leaking, and making a MESS on the bike, and probably on the tire. Installed a fuel petcock; problem solved.

Meanwhile, with the OCS in the new "official" orientation, the collection tube fills up on a day's ride.
I am experiencing the same, Redhawk. I put my OCS in the "official" position and did a 2 hour ride this morning. I now have 1/3 of my collection tube filled. In the unofficial position, it would remain bone dry. Later this afternoon, I'm flipping my OCS back to the "unofficial" position.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #5

I'm a little confused, isn't it better to have more fuel vapor condense and drop into the OCS tube rather than have it remain in the crankcase? Maybe it just gets burned with the intake charge instead when upside down? Sorry, I know this has been discussed at length......

Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideabout View Post
I'm a little confused, isn't it better to have more fuel vapor condense and drop into the OCS tube rather than have it remain in the crankcase? Maybe it just gets burned with the intake charge instead when upside down? Sorry, I know this has been discussed at length......
It's a coin toss. Folks have reported success for both positions.
Because it works in that way for some folks, they tend to preach that every bike should do it that way also. Do what works for you.

Mine is in the "official" position and I seldom have build up. It was worse before I noticed that a couple of the clamps that hold the tube to the air canister were squeezed too tight, restricting the breathing.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideabout View Post
As Jay said, it's kind of a coin toss. We simply don't have enough data to say for certain which orientation is better.

However, in my opinion the unofficial orientation improves the vapor flow to the airbox, burning fuel vapor in combustion instead of condensing it in the catchtube. I say this because the oil temps are the same, which 'should' evaporate the same amount of fuel. Less fuel in the catchtube 'should' mean more vapor in the air intake.

But without doing a lot of oil analysis, I can't be certain which is better.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-31-2016, 04:40 PM   #8

Thanks Jay/Detours for the info

Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Some of my parts arrived to today
1/ revotec (SST8K) self sealing 8mm barb -
My gut feeling is that the internal diameter of 5mm might be too small to gain the full benefit.
Now seeing it close to the bottom hose, I don't think it will squeeze the hose flat as much as i Initially thought, when fitted.

2/ Koso 18mm water temp sensor adapter-
This comes with a water temp sensor, the adapter sensor hole is 1/8 NPT.

My inital plan was to fit the gauge temp sensor in to this adapter. spud measured our gauge temp sensor as M10 with the fine 1.0 thread.
If this is bigger than 1/8 NPT then a larger tapped hole will be need. The boss on the adapter is only 13mm wide so quite tight.
Our temp sensor will require a ground wire attached to the adapter.
I plan on using an after market temp gauge that comes with a 1/8 NPT sensor.

To use the koso adapter as the bottom hose connector would be very tight if not impossible (see picture)

Name:  connectors.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  connectors on hose.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  90.1 KB