Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #1

Hi Bird 250 Enduro

This is a great forum! After reading hundreds of posts and looking at the products I've decided to buy a Chinese 250 Enduro (street legal). Before making the purchase I would like some additional recommendations from the other members. Has anyone bought from V-Bike in OK? If so was the experience good or bad? Does anyone have any good or bad comments about the Hi Bird 250s? Are the engines LiFan or something else?

Thanks for any comments.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:46 PM   #2

hello,I have purchased serveral bikes off of Tim at Vbike.Acouple for my personal use and 5 for resale.I want to say with my experience with him he is second to none.He is very customer oriented and has quality machines.I have had one of the hibird 250 enduro's and was very impressed with it. Its not a small bike at all and to me the motor was very smooth.It was in perfect shape out of the crate.I plan on getting one for myself this spring.There is too much competition to sell in my area so I just decided to ride and not sell.

Also if you look under the dealer descussion area you can read some other inputs on vbike.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:04 PM   #3

Thanks, Cool Boy. I've written to three companys for some additional info and only Tim at V Sport has responded. His price is also attractive ($1200 delivered).

Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #4

One would hope with a goofy moniker like "Hi-Bird" that it would be the actual Chinese manufacturer's name. In fact it is:

http://www.hi-bird.com.cn/english/

http://www.hbmusa.us/

AFAIK their VIN should start with "LSR".

HTH,
TCS

Old 12-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #5

Hi Bird 250

I, too, just purchased one from Tim at Vbikes. I have spent some time on it, tightening nuts & bolts, changing engine oil, charging the battery. Let me say - this motorcycle is quite a fine package. The engine is an overhead cam, 250 cc with a i am guessing a small cat converter in the tailpipe. For $1100 bucks. I studied KLR, XT, DR and the hondas. The paint on the Chongqing (Hi Bird) is not the black power coated type of the old hondas from the 80's, but in every other way it appears to be a clone of a Honda XL 185.

The oil drain has the same screen, and spring pushing is against the engine block, the footpegs have the same cleat design, the engine shows the same lean carb issues that make cold operation a chore. The engine at idle has the same put-put-put of an 80's honda.

Tim had a engine laying on the floor in his shop when i was browsing - the big ball bearing mains and roller crankpins look just like a Honda XL 185. Hard to figure for $1100. The cylinder has a steel insert - not a welding rod exploded into the lining of a bare aluminum cylinder like the new ones. Time will tell, but it looks rock solid from here.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #6

glad to help!I think you wil be happy if you decide to get one.