Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #16

"Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines" Really? Mine look like regular black ones???? Not doubting, just want to verify as I've read where others were going to replace their stock RX3 brake lines with braided SS brake lines ??? Can't imagine them on a sub $3500 bike. But you learn something new everyday. At work and bike is home staying warm so I can't go out and check them right now. rj

Old 12-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

The lines are comparatively thin (to plain rubber ones). I think they're indeed braided SS coated or wrapped in plastic/rubber.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
"Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines" Really? Mine look like regular black ones???? Not doubting, just want to verify as I've read where others were going to replace their stock RX3 brake lines with braided SS brake lines ??? Can't imagine them on a sub $3500 bike. But you learn something new everyday. At work and bike is home staying warm so I can't go out and check them right now. rj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
The lines are comparatively thin (to plain rubber ones). I think they're indeed braided SS coated or wrapped in plastic/rubber.
What Juanro said. I haven't checked, so I might be wrong, but I believe the brake lines are thin, braided, stainless steel which are wrapped in plastic/rubber.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #19

Braided hose.

All brake hose is braided, some with a fabric like polyester nylon and some with metal. The braid pattern provides resistance to expansion when pressure is applied. All hydraulic hose will expand under pressure, but how much depends on the construction, i.e. how many strands in each section, the angle of the weave, etc.

Just because you can see shiny sparkly stainless on the outside of a hose does not mean THAT layer is providing strength. Some hose use multiple layers for either burst protection or expansion resistance. Here is a section of 6 layer.

It's usually good for up to 6,000 psi continuous pressure. Notice that the outside don't be looking shiny. The outside is a coating to protect the steel braid against chaffing. Chaffing makes the shiny get thin and go away, holes. Holes in the part that holds the juice inside is a Not Good thing. You would be impressed at how far a teeny tiny stream of hydraulic fluid will squirt at 3,000 psi.

Okay, I babbled. Do we have braided stainless hoses? Most likely. Want yours to look pretty? Get Granny to crochet you some covers.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:00 AM   #20

Here is a link to an interesting article describing hydraulic brake hoses for motorcycles.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/bl...c-brakes-work/

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Want yours to look pretty? Get Granny to crochet you some covers.
Best line of the week!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #22

rice it up a bit
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mr-gasket-f...?filterid=u0j1

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250