Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

Check to make sure the slide is in the correct position and able to close ,the symptoms you have are classic for the slide being installed 180* out .
I can't open your pictures on my iPad ,is the bike an original Honda with a clone engine ,or did you purchase a clone bike then upgrade it with the larger engine ?

Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #17

Thanks purchased a clone bike came with a 49cc and put in a 125cc. Tomorrow I will check the slide like you said but I did look at the slide and worked the throttle and it appears to be working correctly. But tomorrow I will spin it around and see if it seats correctly and if that solves the problem.

/

Old 11-04-2015, 10:21 PM   #18

I did just go out and check it removed the slide and spun it around and then the throttle wouldn't work correctly. Spun it back around and it fully seated down in the carb and throttle works correctly. So I am pretty confident I have it installed correctly. The more I think about how the carb works I think I need to change my needle position. I need to 'shorten' the needle so the slide will move farther down into the throttle body. That should lower my idle. Right now my needle is in its longest position. The clip is at the top most position on the pin. I need to move it to the bottom most position making the needle shorter and see what that does for me.

Does this make sense, am I imagining it in my mind correctly?

/

Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #19

Sounds like you're on the right track ,give it a try .

Old 11-05-2015, 01:01 AM   #20

Check both the main and slow jets for size. I suspect you'll need both to be smaller.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 AM   #21

Yes will check jet size and get a selection of smaller. Will a too large pilot jet cause the high idle that can't be adjusted down? I have also been reading since I changed the carb and messed with the throttle cable I may not have enough slack in my cable. Although to me it looks like the carb slide is working through its full range of motion.

/

Old 11-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #22

As another diagnostic I used a propane torch around all my carb fittings and the idle did not increase so I am hoping that means I have no leaks. I can't get the idle to drop below 2000rpm. Even if I fully remove the idle speed screw.

/

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Will a too large pilot jet cause the high idle that can't be adjusted down?

Indirectly. I found that out the hard way this summer, when I tried to install a carb on a 50cc horizontal clone, and the carb was too large for the application. So much air passed through the carb when the throttle was closed, that it would draw fuel through the main jet. That's not supposed to happen. A switch to a smaller carb solved the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I have also been reading since I changed the carb and messed with the throttle cable I may not have enough slack in my cable. Although to me it looks like the carb slide is working through its full range of motion.
Simply remove the cable from the throttle tube, and you'll know if the cable is affecting the idle at all. You might have a cable adjuster at the carb end as well; make sure it's backed off.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #24

Not related to my current new carb idle issue. But with the help of you guys and the link to the micro drill bits. I just took the jets out of my original carb and using the drill bits as a gauge I drilled out the jets to the next size up bit that would not fit thru the jet. Do you guys think it was okay only going up one size large or should I have went for two sizes larger? The pilot jet was the hardest only because the hole and bit are so small. The bit is so small it doesn't get a good bite in the brass material. I just kept at it and it finally punched its way through. The main jet was much easier and faster. The bit is bigger so it got a good bite in the brass and quickly drilled through. I did everything by hand. I have a Dremel tool that may have worked but I was very afraid of breaking the very fragile bits. I will switch out the carb over the weekend and let you guys know if I can detect a difference.

With my original carb I was getting a slight bog hitting the throttle from a dead stop. I think that is the pilot jet range. Maybe I should have went up two sizes larger on the drill bit.

More is always better right!?

/

Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #25

I think you did the right thing.

Before drilling any further, try adjusting the pilot mixture screw.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 AM   #26

Yep I will get the original carb back on and make the required adjustments and see how she does.

/

Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #27

Stupid aluminum or stupid me I have stripped out one of the manifold pipe to engine bolt holes on my Honda horizontal clone. I have it holding right now with some thread sealant and some exhaust gasket sealant but I don't like that. Anyone have a quick fix? Anyone know what size thread this bolt hole is in case I want to try an insert?

/

Old 11-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #28

JB Weld?