Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #1

Shineray, LIfan NOT on NJ MVC List

I queried our New Jersey MVC regarding Shineray and Lifan motorcycle titling/registration. Their response is that these manufacturers are not on the list and cannot be titled/registered. I wonder what other Chinese bike manufacturers are not on the list, better yet, which ones are, if any. I have never seen a Chinese bike in NJ, perhaps this is the reason why. Needless to say, this is a big dissapointment.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #2

I hear and feel your pain!!

Im not from NJ, but PA and supposedly they also have a list to, how do i find it? Good question, Try calling the PA DMV and getting a real person, its pretty darn tough, and getting straight information on what exactly you do need is a guess at best. I can buy a lifan from a dealer in PA but he wants 1499.00 for a 2006, and 1599.00 for a 2007, and has no clue about what a american Lifan is and what a gray market lifan is. There all the same according to him. When I stopped by a few weeks ago he pushed the 06 model and told me the 07's have tranny issues, now neither model has any issues at all according to him. Something stinks at his dealership the rhetoric he will fling to make a profit!!

good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #3

Matnique, I am pretty sure that the Lifans would be found under "American Lifan" rather than just "Lifan." I know there is a link to the DOT/EPA site which mentions which manufacturers are recognized somewhere or another...In fact, last year, someone here on Chinariders from New Jersey went through the list (I think the brand was Roketa) and proved it to the NJ authorities.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #4

I think getting an American Lifan registered in N.J. is do-able, the real question is, will it pass the emissions test? They are really tough and any mods will make it even harder... Just make sure you have a legit MSO or be prepared to start sending forms and fax's to whoever you buy it from...

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #5

I believe that Lifan was listed LIFN on the DMV computer in GA. I am actually still waiting on my title to come. It has been three months now. I am tagged and insured.

Allen

Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #6

Lifan was listed under American Lifan. Hooray!