Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 AM   #1

Starter takes a second to engage

On my TaoTao 125G (and my previous Pantera 90) when I engage the starter there is a 1-2 second delay before it starts to crank. Almost like something has to charge up before it will crank. The battery is okay and once it gets cranking will spin fine. What could cause this?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

Hmm...

Not sure about that one. Perhaps there is a bad connection or the primary wire is smaller than it should be to engage the solenoid and the starter. You could remove the large wire from the starter and measure the voltage when the button is pressed. You'll need an extra pair of hands for that, and be careful not to allow the wire to touch anything. Compare that value to a measurement right at the battery. If there is significant voltage drop, it's through that circuit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

generally your battery may seem to be fine, better have it charged real good. Now also make sure your handle bar starter assembly is grounded really well to the handle bars.Also make sure all positive and negitive connections are without corrosion on the starter and mane ground point. The other issue might be the bushings(brushes) inside the starter! Always use a battery connection corrosion spray after you check connections!

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 AM   #4

I replaced the battery and with the new one it's been starting easily. I'll have to ride it a bit this weekend to really test it out.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

slow starter

if it does it again... you can check if you solenoid is the problem by jumping the solenoid with a heavy duty wire... power from one side to the other.. direct engagement... if it works good this way buy not with the push button then it is a starter switch or the solenoid... the starter switch makes a ground to the solenoid.. to engage it. small problems lots of things causing it..