Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

What China Dirt Bike To Get?

I am trying to figure what China dirt bike to get.

The nicest one I have seen so far is the Orion. Any other suggestions?

I would prefer to buy from a dealer instead of the Internet though.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #2

I found an Orion dealer in Georgia and have tomorrow off. I am SO tempted to go buy that bike. :0

Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #3

What are you planning to do with it? and what size where you looking at getting?

I think my Hensim 150 is a great little trail bike. Small enough to control, but enough power to do just about any basic trail riding you want to do. I did eventually find a hill it wouldn't climb, but that was all loose rocks with tree roots exposed going about 45 degree across the trail -- was a tough path. Even my brothers 4x4 utility quad had a little bit of a rough time going up it so I didn't feel too bad.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 07-09-2007, 09:43 AM   #4

I will mostly do trail riding, wheelies and some small jumps when I find them.

I am an old guy, I can not do too much anymore.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #5

There should be several options out there for you. Just be sure the bike was prepped well and check the bolts monthly (or weekly depending on how often you ride)

Look at my Hensim DB Experience thread if you want to see some pictures and info about my bike. For me, the 31" seat height was key - I didn't want something tall like my KX to tool around in the woods.

Wheelies, hmmmmm... you may be disapointed there. But I guess you'll figure that one out on your own. Personally, I only lift the wheel for a purpose (like getting over a downed tree or heading into an unfamiliar mud puddle just in case there's some big root or rock stuck in there.)

Jumps - well, these are not high flying machines. Their a little heavy and the suspension isn't the best in the world. My Hensim is a great trail bike - one of the best I've owned, but it is purely a trail bike. (Of course my idea of trails could be different than yours -- I do plenty of rocky hills, mud, creeks and stream crossings, and tight woods.) Only problem I've had is the cheap factory chain coming off - but that is easily fixable.

Good luck with it - hope you find a winner for your needs.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 07-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #6

Member 'liverchip' has a pure dirt bike from Shineray that he was very pleased with if you search the forums for his posts. If you click on the Home page here, go to the right under groups, and click on '200chinabikes' group, it is dedicated to the Hummer dirt bike, and the derivatives (i.e. Roketa equivalent). The members there who own the bike seem to like it alot, but the group has been silent for awhile, so see if you can stir up repsonses.

John22j has some good points with his Hensim. Hensim are a little higher in quality, or at least seem to be. Read his thread, but I think they only come in 150cc's, as opposed to the more common 200cc bikes.

In fact, someone asked the other day whether or not he should get an enduro or a pure dirt bike. I think the pure dirt bikes, overall, seem to hold up better because they have less to rattle off (all the street bolts, street parts, etc) and are listed as weighing far less than our Chinese enduros.

In the ongoing dealer vs. mail order discussions, you seem to prefer a dealer, so that will limit your choices, obviously, unless you have several local dealers to choose from. Make sure the dealer is reputable, and that will probably be the better route to go.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #7

What is wrong with doing wheelies on these bikes?

I saw the post with the bike from t-motorsports. I only found one 200cc, so I assume that was it.

John22, it sounds like you have done some jumps (from reading your post), so did it do alright?

When I say jumps, I am thinking like 2-3' tall jumps. Or when you go over a big hill or down it.

WIth so many bikes to choose from, I cannot decide.

The worst part is that with online dealers, I cannot try it before I buy it.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #8

I guess nothing is wrong with doing wheelies -- but I don't think these bikes are the easiest to pull up the front end on... heavy and underpowered. I'm just trying to set your expectations properly - that front end might not come up as easily as you would like.

Jumps - I've had mine about 3' in the air and it lands pretty hard, so I would not do it over and over again intentionally -- I ride motocross so I guess when I think of jumps I'm talking about being 10' in the air over a 35' or larger gap. My Hensim would probably kill me if I tried to ride it like I ride my KX :roll:

I guess I've never test rode any dirt bikes I've bought, so that was no big deal for me. Most were bought sight unseen, so mail order was no problem for me.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply. I did not even think of the weight.

I am a bit old too do the kind of jumps you are used to. No matter what bike I was on, I would probably kill myself. LOL

I do appreciate all of the feedback and advice. It really helps me out.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #10

Never too old as long as your body doesn't quit on ya -- I raced once with a guy who's 73 years old and still hauls.

I choose not to be nearly as aggressive now compared to 20 years ago, but I still enjoy it as much as ever.

For a vet rider looking to hit some trails, I think these chinese bikes are great. I love mine, the only problem is finding enough time to get out and ride.
'02 Kawasaki KX125