Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #16

I'm coming into this thread kind of late, but all the Big Red's I ever saw had shaft drive and reverse... Also low range. You can even pick them up pretty cheap here, but most of them are pretty beat up cosmetically. :wink:

Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #17

Interesting! I only ever rode one Big Red, and it tried to kill me. It had an unconventional shift pattern of five down, and there was no reverse. Trikes are priced a little high where I live; what can you pick one up for, Stew?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #18

Here's one about a half hour away from me... Definitely falls into the fixer upper status! Lol! Does run though, that's half the battle!

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ394500124

Here's one in very nice usable condition, but at triple the price of the "fixer upper" The better machines seem to run around 1K and up. Fairly reasonable for what your getting though .

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ402979895

Here's one that's kind of in the middle. Still needs a bit of work but is in better shape cosmetically than the first one for $500

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ401967994

I'm guessing that the ones my buddy had and our next door neighbor had at the farm must have been 84 + as they both had reverse... My bad, I thought they all did.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/oldsite...4atc200esC.jpg

I love the old ATC's... I had a 185's when I was 14 or 15 and I pretty much wore that thing totally out. Served us very well on the farm for quite a few years. A few of us farm kids would get together and go riding on ATC's and one guy had a brand new Fourtrax (his dad's of course!). The ATC's would go through the muskeg much better than the Fourtrax did.... At the time we attributed it to the much lighter weight of the ATC's.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #19

Now I am seeing a stretched big red. I can legally drive them on the street in most areas around here.

Most of the smaller towns have ATVs in the grocery store parking lot.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Now I am seeing a stretched big red. I can legally drive them on the street in most areas around here.

Most of the smaller towns have ATVs in the grocery store parking lot.
I loved riding the ATC's, to the point where I personally think they were easier to handle than the four wheelers. I remember doing high speed drifting turns on gravel where you weighted the outside peg to take traction off the inside wheel and leaned toward the inside wheel to keep from highsiding... They were a riot!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #21

My buddy had a Honda ATC250R. Basically a racing motocross bike with an extra wheel. It was very fun but not for the novice.

I think part of the danger of 3 wheelers is they look easier to ride than they are. I also think they got a bum rap.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
My buddy had a Honda ATC250R. Basically a racing motocross bike with an extra wheel. It was very fun but not for the novice.

I think part of the danger of 3 wheelers is they look easier to ride than they are. I also think they got a bum rap.
I never really found them difficult to drive, did have a few mishaps though... We were riding on some rough trails (cutlines) once and I was in lead, I was going a little fast and I hit a bump that pretty much bounced me off the pegs. At that point the rear wheels quickly clawed up the back of my Moto X Fox boots and pretty much pinned some tender parts very tightly to the seat/tank. Lol! I was pinned there until my buddies came along and lifted the back end up so I could get my legs free, with much jeering and teasing of course! I sang soprano for a couple of days after that... :oops:

That being said I still miss the old girl, kinda wish I had hung onto it.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #23

My understanding is the quads replaced the trikes because it was feared the trikes tipped over more easily; is that correct? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #24

That's a big part of it. Add to that, if you climb over a log with the front wheel and then put your foot down, you'll trap your leg between the rear wheel and the log; rescue is your only hope. As well, you can't lean a trike like a motorcycle and you can't drift it like a quad. Experienced riders make it look easy, but the dynamics aren't natural.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #25

As always, thank you for your detailed, informative reply, Weld.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #26

Experienced riders make it look easy, but the dynamics aren't natural.

Well said.

Again also the look like tricycles which non-riders thought anoyone could ride. Many of these people hurt themselves and helped sue the three wheeler off the market.

FWIW though I sold my ATV a few days ago. I liked it but I'm a two wheel kinda guy...