Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #1

San Juan Islands tour. Airplane and Linda

Well it is a ride report, just not on a motorcycle. I'll post pictures because it was a beautiful ride and I thought you all would enjoy. This applies especially to our friends in the BC/Vancouver Island area as the terrain will be very familiar to them.

We did not go into Canada (a small hassle in an airplane and we didn't have time) but we were within 7 miles of Victoria, BC. Sill in US airspace though :wink: .

North Cascades National Park in Northwest Washington. We are at 9,500 feet. These rocky mountains look sharp! 8O

Linda in Friday Harbor.

A lavender field on San Juan Island. Lots of bees but I don't think they would bite as long as you don't bother them too much. Smelled froo-froo. :roll:

Cattle Point Lighthouse on the south end of the island.

California poppies everywhere. Indeed the islands are covered in wildflowers.

The 50cc Kymco scooter we rented to tour the island. We rode it about 60 miles. The island is quite hilly. We saw a top speed of 36 downhill, and a minimum speed of 11 climbing. WOT all the time. It was a 2 stroke with oil injection and we got about 90 MPG. It had a soft seat, good storage, was smooth and quiet. Awesome brakes.

There you go! A Chinabike Ride Report after all! :P

A Orca whale watching beach on the south end of the island. Linda saaw two but I missed out.

A red fox. Beautiful animal.

Linda tried this Tomos moped but did not feel safe to ride it safely so we changed to the 2 seat scooter. :P

Even the airport was covered in wildflowers. SO nice they matched my plane! 8)

Linda with one of our little folding bikes I carried in the plane for ground transportation. The are ALSO Chinese so another Ride Report! :P

This is in Port Townsend. We rode those bikes about 15 miles which is quite a bit on the hills. She hated me a little... :wink:

On the ferry Kennewick form Port Townsend to Coupeville.

Linda was the one who got this ferry named after our town. :wink:

Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

One last shot of the beautiful Cascade Mountains.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

These are just snapshots from my phone. The camera pics will be better and I'll post them somewhere down the road. :wink:

Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Beautiful pics, Doc. Let us know if you're going to be in the area again; perhaps we could meet for lunch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

I did notice I was close to your home town... :P

To visit you it might be easier and faster to land on the US side and drive over. There are a number of rules with planes and to be honest I'm not up on them...

The weather was amazing. clear blue skies and low-mid 70's. If the weather was always like that BC/San Juan's would be the most overpupulated place in the US and Canada. The beauty was simply amazing.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #6

The Bellingham airport is only 20 minutes across the border.

BTW, congrats to Linda on the naming of the Kennewick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The Bellingham airport is only 20 minutes across the border.

BTW, congrats to Linda on the naming of the Kennewick.
She is very proud of that. It was a big project for her. Since the anticipated service life of the vessel is 60+ years her legacy is substantial.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

Yes, it will be around until she is 90.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Yes, it will be around until she is 90.
Poor math skills. You mean 80. :wink:

Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Linda is gonna LOVE you guys!

Her and I are about the same age but everyone thinks, and rightly so, I'm quite a bit older than her.

She's a beautiful gal, and has NOT had an easy life. She's done great with what she has had but she's overcome more than her share of hardship. She is currently enjoying a promotion in her job in city government. Yesterday was her first day. :P

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #11

Thanks for posting the great photos, Doc. I have two questions.

1) How did Linda learn of the opportunity to get the ferry named "Kennewick?"
2) How did you get the red fox to pose so nicely for that photograph? :P

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #12

1) I think the state solicited all towns with Native American names to petition for the ferry to be named after their town. The ferry system is very strict on Native American heritage.

Indeed when the ferry was launched (not Christened) there was a Native American medicine man and crew to 'bless' it and do ritual dances and ceremonies. Linda, against all odds, closed her eyes in a silent prayer to God to bless the ferry and the people it carries.

Linda had to prove that Kennewick has a nautical and ferry history. Indeed with the Snake and Columbia and Yakima Rivers are all in town it does. Lewis and Clarke took a ferry in Kennewick and some of the first Washington ferries were from Kennewick to Pasco.

She also had to identify and commission local artists to decorate the ship, and arrange payment for them through government channels. She put a lot of work into it, and the photography and art work, all about Kennewick (half strictly Native American) is beautiful.

2) The inhabitants of the San Juan Islands, being on the west side of the Cascades, are strictly liberal Democrats. This applies also to the fox population, and he was looking for a handout. :wink: If I had some food I bet he would have come up to within an inch of me. :P

Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
1) I think the state solicited all towns with Native American names to petition for the ferry to be named after their town. The ferry system is very strict on Native American heritage.

Indeed when the ferry was launched (not Christened) there was a Native American medicine man and crew to 'bless' it and do ritual dances and ceremonies. Linda, against all odds, closed her eyes in a silent prayer to God to bless the ferry and the people it carries.

Linda had to prove that Kennewick has a nautical and ferry history. Indeed with the Snake and Columbia and Yakima Rivers are all in town it does. Lewis and Clarke took a ferry in Kennewick and some of the first Washington ferries were from Kennewick to Pasco.

She also had to identify and commission local artists to decorate the ship, and arrange payment for them through government channels. She put a lot of work into it, and the photography and art work, all about Kennewick (half strictly Native American) is beautiful...
That's a lot of good work! When did the "launching" occur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...2) The inhabitants of the San Juan Islands, being on the west side of the Cascades, are strictly liberal Democrats. This applies also to the fox population, and he was looking for a handout. :wink: If I had some food I bet he would have come up to within an inch of me. :P

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

That's a lot of good work! When did the "launching" occur?

January 2012.