Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I'll have to check out ICBC's website or the motor vehicle act to see what I'm allowed for length past the back.
Please let us know what you find. My guess is that you're allowed two feet beyond the trailer (assuming the lights are at the end of the trailer where they should be, not on the fenders). Anything beyond that length requires a red flag by day or a light at night.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I'll have to check out ICBC's website or the motor vehicle act to see what I'm allowed for length past the back.
Please let us know what you find. My guess is that you're allowed two feet beyond the trailer (assuming the lights are at the end of the trailer where they should be, not on the fenders). Anything beyond that length requires a red flag by day or a light at night.
I think you are right but I will look it up for sure before I put together the back of the trailer.

Doc, I agree, I don't think it's going to be too heavy though.. The entire tent trailer frame before I cut off most of it was pretty easy for me to move around by hand, this will be much lighter.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #48

I am going to guess the brake parts to add about 40-50lbs. Sounds like you really won't need them with the weight you will be carrying.

I do wish I had them on my trailer on Monday. That load was significant.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #49

Ok may be getting back to the trailer soon... Things keep taking me away from it... My car, after we got the clutch and pressure plate changed, lasted for about a week before the slave cylinder went, which is inside the transmission, which was also changed about a year ago. Got that fixed today. Next up is the cl350. It was running good, until I ran out of gas on the highway, swapped to reserve and carried on, but since then it's been popping and sputtering, with a significant loss of power. Guess I will check the plugs, and clean the carbs out again. As well as install 2 inline fuel filters.

Anyways, as far as the trailer goes, I found some info here:
http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showpos...66&postcount=4

Quote:
Ubilt (Homebuilt) Trailer with a GVW of 1400 kg or less

Vehicle Standards
All trailers are required to meet the Standards for Approval of a Motor Vehicle as prescribed in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations. Trailer specific requirements include proper lighting (for example: tail lights, stop lights, and licence plate lights) and Department of Transport (DOT) approved road tires. DOT approved tires do not have marked on them warnings such as "Not for road use" or "For off-road use only".

Ubilt trailers with a GVW of 1400 kg or less are not required to be inspected before registration. However, operators of trailers are subject to a violation ticket for failure to meet the equipment requirements. The owner may take the trailer to a Designated Inspection Facility to ensure that the trailer meets the requirements outlined in the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations.

References:

Federal Lighting Equipment Location Requirements - http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13136/trailer_e.htm

BC Motor Vehicle Act Regulations - http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/...8/26_58-00.htm

Listing of Designated Inspection Facilties - http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...ions/index.htm

Building Materials
The utility trailer can be constructed of various materials (new or used) excluding the wheels of and/or axles of a mobile home.

Proof of Ownership
Proof of ownership is by verbal declaration from the trailer owner to the Autoplan agent. The agent will note this on the initial registration.

Social Service Tax
You must fully complete a Transfer/Tax Form (APV9T). If you have paid Social Service tax on all parts of the ubilt trailer, also complete a Non-Market Value and Tax Exemption Form (APV9E). Save your receipts in case you are audited by Consumer Taxation.

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
While a VIN may be the best identifying mark, ICBC understands that owners of inexpensive Ubilt utility trailers may not want to go to the effort and expense of applying for and affixing a recognized, seventeen character BC Assigned VIN. As a result, Ubilt trailers having a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 1400 kg or less are not required to have a BC Assigned VIN (although ICBC will assign one for such a trailer if the owner requests it). A BC Assigned VIN is required for all Ubilt trailers with a GVW of more than 1400 kg.

Owners opting not to obtain a BC Assigned VIN are advised to affix an identifying mark of their own. We recommend using hand-held hardened steel die stamps to stamp the identifying marks on a visible portion of the outside frame rail, curbside at the front.

Owners should keep their own record of this unofficial identifying mark because it cannot be recorded on the registration form. “NIL” will be recorded on the form, indicating the trailer does not have a BC Assigned VIN.

Registration and Licensing
# This type of trailer is classed as a utility trailer (vehicle type 4) and is issued one utility trailer plate.
# Year - the year of manufacture
# Make - the make is Ubilt
# Body style - that best describes the vehicle. Discuss with your agent.
# GVW - do not overstate the GVW relative to the size of the towing vehicle. Discuss with your agent. Maximum GVW is 1400 kg for this classification of trailer.
From what I've been reading it looks like you are allowed 1.2 meters past the rear of the trailer, about 4 feet. Beyond that you need to have a red light at night, or a red flag in the day. I will look some more to be sure.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #50

I know what you mean about the slave cylinder. Son of Weldangrind's Ranger needed a new slave, so we threw a clutch in it at the same time. According to the PO, that truck is now on its fourth slave in 300000km (180000 miles).

He got that done in shop class at school, and we took it for a test drive, where we promptly lost all braking power. The brake line has a hole rusted in it, and it's brutal to get at, so I removed the box today. The gas tank came out next, and that ate up most of the day. We're hoping to get a new brake line installed tomorrow.

I'm so thankful that the brakes failed on me and not him. He simply doesn't have the experience to deal with something like that. You shoulda seen the look on his face!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...we took it for a test drive, where we promptly lost all braking power. The brake line has a hole rusted in it, and it's brutal to get at, so I removed the box today. The gas tank came out next, and that ate up most of the day. We're hoping to get a new brake line installed tomorrow.

I'm so thankful that the brakes failed on me and not him. He simply doesn't have the experience to deal with something like that. You shoulda seen the look on his face!

I'm glad you were at the wheel, Brother Weld!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #52

Glad to hear it didn't end badly.

Vehicles are such a nuisance :P

Old 06-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #53

I agree. Once this truck is sorted, he'll love it. He's looking forward to being able to load the dirt bikes whenever he wants, and even pull a small trailer like the one you're building.

I'm amazed at the shape of this truck. I had the box off and upside down on the lawn, and I found only one speck of rust. Despite the high mileage, this truck is in amazing shape.

Jim, will 4' past the end of the trailer meet your needs?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #54

Oh yeah I'm not going to have anywhere near that overhang.

I stuck the front and back of the trailer back together today. Next I just need to make some kind of back bumper and add lights.

Just need to figure out whats wrong with the cl first though.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #55

I am back to the land of rust. It was nice not having rusty cars in GA. KS is not too bad though.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #56

You can always pick up a cheap car if you visit Docville and drive it back.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #57

Texas is much closer. I have rust free vehicles right now too.