Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #1

How to restore faded plastics for free!!!

I came across this video on you tube on how to restore faded motorcycle plastics for free. I have started on my tank shrouds and this technique works great! Even though my KLX is practically new, it was left in the sun all day by the previous owner. I will post photos when I am finished-but it really works and it is easy. Way easier than using rubbing compounds and the like IMHO.

Here is the link:

Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #2

That's awesome! Thanks for the link. That's a lot of effort when you can get replacement Polisport fenders for $5.00 at Motorcycle Superstore right now, but I have some fenders on an old TS250 that have to be original. I intend to restore it well enough for collector plates, so I need to restore the fenders to original.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

I think in the US the only part of the bike or car that has to be original is the serial number. :roll:

Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #4

It's that way here as well, unless you want collector plates. You are allowed to make some changes, like modern tires, disc brake upgrades, etc. You can even change colours, as long as it was a colour that was offered on the original model.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #5

Actually,

I did replace my front fender from motorcycle superstore. I can recommend the Polisport Free Flow front fender! It bolted right up with no drilling required.

However, I couldn't find tank shrouds for my KLX, but why spend money when I can do it for free? I have not finished scraping the plastic yet, but when I get done, I plan to just buff it with some wax to bring it to shine-I don't have a heat gun. What I have done so far though looks way better than the sun faded parts on there...

Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

I bet that a hair dryer would accomplish the same thing, and you can get one for nearly free at a thrift store. Just be sure to blow the dust out of the filter, because that's probably why it's in the thrift store.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7

Weld you actually melt the surface of the plastic in the last step not sure a regular hair dryer would do it. You can get a Harbor freight (or princess auto for you canuks. ) Heat gun for 10.00

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8

My heat gun is a HF cheapie and works fine, so far.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

I have a heat gun that Mrs. Weldangrind insisted she needed, and used once. I have confiscated it and used it many times. I was making the hair dryer comment for SuperTimmy, who said he doesn't have a heat gun. If you find a hair dryer that draws 1800 watts, that's 15 amps, which is a standard household circuit. I bet it would do the trick.