Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

The Beast Won't Start

My new Beast Limited won't start now. I just wrote up a first impressions review for it today - and went out to adjust the air/ fuel mix.

I made 1 adjustment, screwed the cap back on the carb, and it started fine.

I made another adjustment, and it wouldn't start. I've been trying for a while, and I can't see anything obvious. It is turning over, and a couple times it sounded like it was firing, but it won't start at all.

Since I'm a newb mechanic, I need some trouble shooting help.

So far I have tried spraying carb cleaner in the carb, priming by putting a bit of gas in the carb, took out and replaced the spark plug, checked the gas line for kinks (this was a problem when i first got it running), and checked electrical for loose connections.

Can someone give me a rundown of troubleshooting tips - like check the ignition wire for charge, then this, then that, etc etc?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,

-jb

Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #2

Check to make sure you didn't bump any wiring while working on the carb. Maybe a connection came loose.

Also did you upgrade the sparkplug to an NGK?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #3

I do have a NGK irridium atv plug. It looks exactly the same but I'm not sure if it is the right one for this engine. I tried it in there but it didn't make a difference.

The stock plug that I pulled out was already quite black - meaning the mix is rich? Does anyone know which end of the notches is lean and which is rich on the carb pin? I was moving the e-clip up when it stopped working, I've since moved it back down to #3, which is close to the middle.

I did manage to get it to fire so I know it is not lack of spark. The battery has died with all my trying so I have it on a charger now.

Edit: I checked all the wires and they were OK. I have it running again! I *think* it may have been flooded, and then starved - after letting it sit and charging the battery, I adjusted the idle screw and gave it some gas and it reluctantly started. Now that it is warm it is running ok.

jb

Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Is it possible that you "activated" the kill switch? Please allow me to explain: The switch on the left hand side (on my Beast anyway) has a kill switch that will stop the engine by sliding to the left or right. If you stop the engine that way, you need to press the switch in once, or it won't start.

The switch is a hangover from a street bike signal light. In a signal light switch, you slide left or right to activate the light, then press it in to shut it off. In our application, you're connecting the ground by sliding it either direction, then shutting off the ground by pressing it in.

That switch has fooled many of us.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks weld,

I should have mentioned that I did check that switch, and it was ok. I appreciate the history on it, I have accidentally hit it once or twice. I imagine it must be frustrating for riders who have bikes with the same turn signal switch to get on one of these!

Jb

Old 08-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #6

Just adding to this - I was out riding the other day with a friend and stopped the ATV for the first time with that damn switch. When I went to start it I had forgotten that I killed it with the switch and was VERY frustrated trying to get it going... until I remembered and clicked it. Then it started right away. Man, I was pulling out the plug muttering "spark, compression, air, gas..." trying everything but the switch until I remembered. Was funny in hindsight.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Hindsight is a very exacting science, isn't it? Glad to hear that your understanding of the switch saved you some frustration. I tore my first quad down to the point of removing the stator before I figured out the switch.

I finally solved the problem with my Beast after too long; it was a broken terminal on the ignition switch. I missed it because I plugged in a new switch for testing, and that switch has a different wiring configuration, despite the same colours. Arrgh.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer