Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2023, 11:38 PM   #1

Heart and coronary artery issues

All this week I have been doing some painting on my house and garage exteriors, while I had a bit of warmer weather. I am 73 and pretty healthy, lean and fairly active but not a gym rat by any means. I don't smoke or drink, and eat pretty healthy. I have a slight congenital heart murmur that has never been a problem. I knew I would get some aches and pains from the painting, since I don't do this regularly. Normally I would take turmeric for inflammation, but I was out of it, so I used ibuprofen. One on Monday, one on Tuesday, and two on Wednesday.

So Wednesday afternoon I was just finishing up the garage, and I got what was very obviously a heart attack. Never had one in my life, but it was unmistakeable. I lay down and spent about 40 minutes recovering. After I recovered, I went on the internet and confirmed the symptoms, the worst and most obvious being the viselike hold on my heart. Plus sweating, shortness of breath, weakness. This would probably be considered a fairly mild attack. More like a shot across the bow.

The next morning (today) I did some quick research on ibuprofen side effects. Turns out it is known to increase the risk of both stroke and heart attack. I have used it in the past, but never three days in a row like this. I threw away what I had and went and got some turmeric capsules from the local health food store. This afternoon I finished the garage (just some touch-up brushwork), with no problems at all. I doubt the heart attack will ever recur now that I know to avoid ibuprofen, and in general stick to natural remedies and supplements.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Last edited by TominMO; 01-11-2024 at 08:58 PM.