Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #1

Troubleshooting a Carbed Chinese bike

I you do the initial work adjusting valves, rejetting to more rich airgas mixture, and keep a few spare parts around (tested coil, tested CDI unit) and know how to check for spark and fuel delivery, you can keep a carbureted Chinese bike on the road.

I have been amazed at ALL THREE dirt bikes I got over the past couple of years, and how easy they are to troubleshoot and fix.

This is important if no mechanics will work on your Chinese "junk". More and more, it is obvious that you need to be a reasonable motorcycle mechanic (or be very lucky that nothing fails)! These are great bikes, if you can fix them. Don't get me wrong... ALL bikes need fixing now and then. In a pinch, you can take your Honda to the dealership!

My carbureted Zhongshen engines have never let me down. I have always been the problem, like when I drilled the airscrew on a perfectly good working bike, and decided to open it to 2 turns instead of checking the original setting and making minor changes! Oh it got me home, and I figured it out, but that's a carb for ya! Simple, low tech.

Since my bikes have good charging systems, I have checked stator voltages and tested spare parts, just in case. I have spare electrical parts, fuses. I know where the reg/rectifier is, I know where the starter solenoid is (and how to bypass it)...Well, I bought the thing, and I can't expect a regional mechanic to fix it, so I will have to live with failure, or learn to fix it. I feel pretty well equipped now, but I am so glad I chose naturally aspired system on these bikes. Just my opinion.