Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

New member looking at 2020 Hawk 250 DLX with EFI

I just joined after discovering the Hawk DLX EFI. have not bought yet but exploring how to do EFI tuning after porting and other modifications.

I'm also looking for the Hawk to do some desert camping trail riding with a light full-sized bike. My plan is to carry it on the back of my Ford E-350 van that I'm converting to a camper van.

After playing/spending a bunch of money on a $1500 83 GS 1100ED Suzuki restro mod, I'm happy to report I'm still alive but would like a slower smaller bike; just hope it is not gutless

I can not see spending $6K plus for that for a name brand bike of $3500+ for a quality EMTB. Not looking for anything for riding much on the street other than as necessary.

I have been reading about the significant gains that can be obtained with
  • some porting
  • raising the CR to 10:1
  • 4 degree advance

I emailed Cory at LFR Powersport Performance & Repair last night and he suggested the following mods for a carbureted Hawk 250.

>>>If you decide to go with the Carb Model, I think you will be happiest with
a Nibbi Carb, Intake, Single Layer Head Gasket, and a Trail Port.

So the question in my mind is can the Hawk DLX EFI be modified relatively easily to accommodate the engine mods? I'm pretty much set against changing all the OEM wiring to put in a new controller unless the stock setup can't be modified in which case I could revert back to a carbureted bike.

Anyway back to EFI. Another member just joined recently Gimpster who has set up a website dedicated to the Hawk DLX. He seems to be leading the charge on Hawk DLX EFI.

https://www.ecimulti.org/hawk250/

I much appreciate him chasing down the part numbers and sources for most of the DLX EFI components. I also he is debating between the Delphi MT5 and other Speeduino ECU's. I hope to pick his brain as much as he will allow.

Gimpster>>>>I am still considering converting the bike over to using a Speeduino though vs. the Delphi MT05.2 for more control, and it should be somewhat trivial to do.

BTW I'm also a EE with some Arduino/ARM microcontroller design experience. never actually worked on an EFI system, but familiar with the tech.

Prior bikes Suzuki 81 GS750EX, 83 GS1100ED. Long time member at GSResources.com