Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Jim from Buffalo

hello,
I bought a red hawk from killermotorsports, I womt bother with pics, youve all seen them.

anyway, on assembly it wouldnt even idle.. i pulled the carb, cut slices into the saftey screws with a dremel, and opened it up to find casting material in the bowl, i debured it myself and cleared. the idle jet with a single bristle from a wire brush.

the hawk fired right up and runs perfectly. it doesnt seem lean to me. I wonder how many of these bikes suffer from the same issue.

so based on that i pulled the valve cover and looked over some of the casting there. agAin I found casting material stuck to the alluminum part.

cleaned that up, adjusted the valves, and i guess ill just do a few very short oil changes and look in the old oil for any loose material..

this is a qa issue. if your bike wont idle or runs lean i suggest you clean out all the little specs of casting material in the carb. the jets are soo tiny any little peice of anything will clog them up. a good reason for an in line fuel filter too.

other than that i can tell straight off thet the forks need better oil, and wow are they thin, half the diameter of my yz250. soo keep that in mind when you size up that big jump... bad idea!

the hawk is a trail, or road cruiser, not designed for such aggressive riding as a motocross bike is.

its a great bike, quite, comfy, easy to handle, and the looks are great.

as long as you understand what it is you wont be disapointed by the Hawk!

I also replac d the chain with an rk oring chain and a 17 tooth front sproket before even sitting on th bike. that chain wouldnt hold back my Dog. its seriously weak. and will ruin the sprokets as it streatches.

I would love to find a compatable fork set to rplace the stock forks, that would be my only issue.

believe me there is a reason why a motocross bike has such a large fork.

if this bike had a better fork it would ride and feel exactly like an xr250 i used to have.

Loved the xr250 and ultimatly is why imlooked into the hawk in the first place.

I finnaly heard back from the dealer on my mco request and it had come to them with a mistake on it, they have asked for a new one, at least they picked up on that and didnt send it to me incorrect.

now im waiting for a new one,minlive in the city and litterally cant ride the bike outside my driveway..

that said, anysuggested mods while i wait? I might as well do stuff to it while i wait!