Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Handy Throttle

One of the things I didn't like about my Rhino (and all quads) was the thumb throttle. It was adequate and would work, but it was awkward and not as nimble to use, especially with a manual transmission.

I picked up a Handy Throttle from Cabela's in hopes that it would cure this ill for me. Come to find out, they aren't available on Amazon or anywhere else (that I could find) and it seems Cabela's is the soul source for this product, meaning no competition....meaning 39.95. (or 29.95 on sale, like TODAY!) The good part was my father-in-law was making a Cabela's order so I piggybacked it for his free shipping! :-)

The reviews were very mixed on it. Some complained about getting used to the fast throttle reaction and some complained about its durability, as it broke right away....while others loved it. After summing up all reviews, I saw this as maybe the complainers hadn't set it up properly and it was worth the gamble. After all, I'm not as rough on my equipment as I used to be.

I'm hear to say I LOVE it! After proper install and proper adjustment of the thumb throttle, plus a dab of lube at the meeting points, this throttle reacts GREAT! If you didn't look down, you'd swear it was cable operated.

If you hate your thumb throttle or get hand cramps from hours of holding your thumb in one position, I highly recommend the Handy Throttle.

Longevity? I'll let you know. Just make sure you line up the "impossible to locate reference marks" upon install (they don't' tell you WHERE to find them. Look for the tiny marks on the ends of the pieces) and loosen and set the thumb throttle in the right position, then add a dab of white grease to where they touch each other. Throttle twist is smooth as silk. The only drawback is aesthetically, you have an oddball grip but it's worth it.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 12-31-2016 at 03:42 PM.