Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Seat Modifications and Alternatives

Quick review of the Airhawk DS seat cushion on the RX3.

I am about 6 feet, 170 pounds, and I do not like the stock seat. It forces me too far forward into the handlebars, bends my knees a bit more than I like, and has me sitting on my haunches in a way that quickly develops "hot spots."

I was not sure that CSC sheepskin seat cover would address my problems, and I needed to do something sooner than wait for the new Seat Concept option.

So I purchased an Airhawk DS seat cover. As many of you know, Airhawk uses an inflatable multi-chambered pad zipped inside a slip-resistant seat cover. You can just place it on the seat or use stretchy straps around the seat to hold it in place.

For me, the DS made a huge improvement. I sit near the back lip of the cushion, so I can just feel the edge of the passenger seat against my tailbone. The cushion keeps me from sliding forward, and also spreads my contact point so I am not experiencing hot spots. With the new riding position, I no longer feel I am being pushed into the handlebars, and my knees are not quite as bent. I really feel the RX3 fits me, whereas it seemed too cramped without the pad.

Downsides: The DS is only available in the regular Airhawk line which uses neoprene, not the less expensive Airhawk 2 line. So retail is about $170. Some people do not like the feeling of sitting on balloons, but you can adjust the air in the cushion to help reduce this. For me its not a problem on the RX3. Finally I always think a bit before I park the bike and just leave the cushion in place. I may take it off for short errand rides, or I might cover it with an old jacket that I attach to the bike with a light cable and padlock.

All in all, this was a very worthwhile investment for me.

(I'd post photos but I am technically challenged and have not mastered this skill.)