Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Mt Lemon

I took the Bashan out yesterday for a fairly decent ride. After ordering up my new Voyager (speedo/gps combo) dash, I headed for the hills. It was fairly warm in town and I was not wearing any heavy gear.

Before I headed up, I topped off at Chevron. It took 2 gallons so my first tank was about 72 mpg.

I wanted to see how much power and how well the bike handle the twisties and elevation.

As mentioned by another Bashan owner, the speedo is off, and by alot if you ask me. Probably my biggest gripe about the bike, geared too low. Winding out in top gear and still being passed by the 45 mph traffic and speedo reading 55.

Yes, putting a real speedo on should be nice.

I just pulled off to the side of the road for this, and framed it to look like I was totally off road

That photo was early on, elevation and temps had not changed much. As I went on, I just really enjoyed the bike and handling. Some of it may be that the odo is so far off, but I let a new Challenger go ahead of me thinking I was going to be holding him up. I was wrong. I wish I knew my actual speed, but the odo said I was doing 55, uphill through the twisties marked for 25 MPH.

I was in top gear and the bike had plenty power, and did not have to downshift unless I wanted to slow down. I stayed right on the Challengers tail. I think it must have been a new car and they were chicken to open it up. Either that, or this bike is insanely easy to ride in the twisties. When I say top gear, I mean fifth and I already added a 17 tooth front sprocket. I should be getting my 45t rear today. stock ratio is 16/50. I will put the 16 back on and run the 45 which should be about perfect. Then buy a 15t to swap out if needed.

Posing for a photo op

Farther up the hill, it just kept running like a charm. As the elevation changed it started getting colder and I was not dressed for the ride. I eventually turned around before I hit the top. Next trip I'll go up and over. There is a dirt (service) road going down the backside which is fun to go up from the other way in.

All in all just a fun short ride. Bike performed better than I thought a 250 would. And here is the fun trivia. The Chevron gas seemed to make this thing run way better, with more power. As I got back into town, taking off at the lights seemed effortless, just pulled much better. I don't know if that was the newness wearing in, or the fuel, same octane, but I suspect it was the fuel.

Side note:
Stock tires seem to be good. It took a little to break them in, but they seem to stick well and not squirmy at all. First impression is they will wear well with time, as the casting nubs are still in tact on the front after a tank of fuel, rear nubs are gone. But spinning in gravel and rocks might have something to do with that. The grip in the dirt is not as good as the Maxxis, but acceptable for now.

Only the good stuff from now on.
Be a Piggy!